AACOMAS non-science professor LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studiene

MD Class of 2022
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just want to get this straight before I officially begin the letter process:
And just an FYI, no, my school doesn't have a committee (which is making this 5x harder):

For AMCAS, I believe we are required to submit a minimum of three LORs: two from science professors and one from a non-science professor. Then, the other slots are available for extracurricular supervisors, a physician, etc... (I think we can add up to 10 letters on AMCAS and then pre-select them per school, but I wasn't planning on getting that many)

However, for AACOMAS, I do not recall that I have seen anything anywhere that states that a non-science professor LOR is required.
Am I correct in this assumption? I'm only asking because I have four science professors (my academic adviser, my chem 1 & 2 prof, my biochem 1 & 2 prof who I'm also doing research with, and a physics prof I did a summer research fellowship with) who are willing to write me strong letters. If I can upload two more letters onto the AACOMAS service, I'd leave the others open for a DO and the supervisor of the floor I volunteer on at the hospital.

If what I said above is correct, I'll have to ask the non-science prof that I have in mind if he'd be willing to write me a strong letter for AMCAS; but would I not actually have to include it in my AACOMAS application?

Also, finally, how many letters do schools typically only want to see? 5-6? I just want to make sure I don't over-ask people who have other important things to do!

Any help you can give me is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think a non science LOR is required for DO, but I had a committee and didn't use it, and submitted 2 science LOR, 1 non science LOR, and 1 DO letter and 1 MD letter. Had not problems. 10 interviews, went to 8, accepted to all 8

Pretty sure it depends on the school. Only way to confidently know is to either check the school website and/or email admissions.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, let's just say hypothetically that one of the DO schools out of the whole pool that I plan to apply to requires a non-science letter, but the rest do not. If I would use the online AACOMAS letter service (and not Interfolio), I would have to send that letter to every school, since I cannot pre-select them? I asked a non-science professor that I had for an entire year if he could ask me a strong LOR and he said that he would, I just feel like the science professors know me better since they are the ones I see all the time. Would it still be better just to send a non-science letter everywhere for more variety, or?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to get everything cleared up and I don't want to end up not using a professor's letter after they'd put time and effort into it!

To answer your second question, you should send the letters that each school requires. If school X doesn't require a non-science LOR, then don't send it unless you think it's one of your stronger ones. If school Y requires one, then you have no choice but to send it. I wouldn't go off the mindset of sending the non-science LOR just because you feel bad for not using it. At this point, you have to do whatever you think will give you the best chance of getting accepted. After all, you don't have to go up to your non-science prof and tell him that you appreciate him writing you a LOR, but ended up not using it. Once he submits it, just give him a thank you note and/or gift and be done with it!

I cannot confidently answer your first question because I will be going through my first cycle this year and I will be using Interfolio. Hopefully someone can help with that one!

Thanks for your reply! I know you said you have yet to apply as well, but do you think it would be advantageous to use Interfolio for that reason? I already asked most people if they'd write me letters and they all said yes, but I wanted to sit down with them again to give an official submission date and explain how to submit them to where and whatnot, so I kind of want to know exactly how I should go about this before I talk to them again xD I may be jumping the gun about this but I just want to make sure it's done right and everything will be in place when I need it yanno. I know Interfolio costs money but if I can select specific letters for specific schools I'd rather pay the price. I just don't know how it would work.

Yeah, jah feel ya! I was told that Interfolio will save you the headaches. You do have to pay for their service, but try using the code: MLA2016 for a free membership. You may have to pay when you send off the letters to schools and/or AACOMAS, not sure how it works yet. The downfall to uploading your LORs straight to AACOMAS is that you can't do it until the app cycle opens, and then you need to have your letter writers resubmit every year if you are reapplying, whereas Interfolio is a one-time deal. So, yes I would recommend using Interfolio! That's a good plan :thumbup: When you send the email off from Interfolio, it requires that you state the submission deadline for them and also, it gives them a link that explains how to upload/submit. Right now is probably the perfect time to ask since the app opens in about 1 month, but you also have to factor in that the school year is coming to an end, which means LORs for other students + final grades need to be calculated and submitted. I would send notifications ASAP.

Thank you!! I'll definitely try out that code.
Same thing goes for AMCAS; I'd have to wait for the application to open on May 2nd in order to get my letter ID to send to my writers. I figured I could just get it to them later but I think giving them everything at once, and using one single system where I can pick and choose the letters that I send where, would just be easiest.

I know that Nova requires a non science LOR, but other than that i am not sure.