AADSAS Application - American Indian bloodlines?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TM27

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have used the search function, but have yet to find the answer to this question...

If my grandmother was 100% American Indian, how do I note that I am 25% American Indian on the application? Does that small of a percentage matter? Is there a minimum percentage? I spoke with an ADEA representative and they informed me that an applicant is only able to check one "box" on the application. However, other dental students have advised me that disclosing this, would behoove me??? Any guidance is appreciated.

Regards,
TM

Members don't see this ad.

I'm 1/8 American Indian too, but I checked white because that is my primary ethnicity. The thing is that if you check American Indian it will only help you if you have a Tribal card or are registered with a tribe. If you aren't registered, I am pretty sure you are supposed to check white/black/hispanic... etc.

Try calling a couple D Schools and asking...

I have used the search function, but have yet to find the answer to this question...

If my grandmother was 100% American Indian, how do I note that I am 25% American Indian on the application? Does that small of a percentage matter? Is there a minimum percentage? I spoke with an ADEA representative and they informed me that an applicant is only able to check one "box" on the application. However, other dental students have advised me that disclosing this, would behoove me??? Any guidance is appreciated.

Regards,
TM

Being that small of a percentage, I don't think its a good idea to try to claim Native American status or even disclose it. Really, who cares? That status is there to allow disadvantaged people a better chance to get into a health profession which they otherwise would not have had under normal consideration. Again, not a good idea to try to gain the upper hand that way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Being that small of a percentage, I don't think its a good idea to try to claim Native American status or even disclose it. Really, who cares? That status is there to allow disadvantaged people a better chance to get into a health profession which they otherwise would not have had under normal consideration. Again, not a good idea to try to gain the upper hand that way.

Agreed.

Regards,
TM

As long as you are an affiliated member of your tribe you should not even hesitate to check the Native American box (25% is a very substantial amount of blood btw). It's not going to give you an insta-acceptance into dental school, like so many people assume. Additionally, if you don't check it you'll be ineligible for scholarships meant for people with your ancestry. If you're uncertain, contact your tribe, they're a better resource than this forum.