AADSAS Application Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iamsolo24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am currently filling out my application on AADSAS and it says it requires all your courses you ever took which includes repeated classes. I had a few classes I retook in order to improve my gpa or get a better score (ex. organic chemistry) so will they look at my AADSAS gpa or the one calculated by my school bc they would differ as in one being lower than the other.

Any opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

The AADSAS application is not open for the 2011 cycle until June, so I'm not sure how you're filling out the application now.

But to answer your question, you will need to enter ALL courses you have taken, including courses that you retook for a higher grader. AADSAS will compute and average all the courses. Schools will only look at AADSAS grades not what your school calculated.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Everyone,

I am currently filling out my application on AADSAS and it says it requires all your courses you ever took which includes repeated classes. I had a few classes I retook in order to improve my gpa or get a better score (ex. organic chemistry) so will they look at my AADSAS gpa or the one calculated by my school bc they would differ as in one being lower than the other.

Any opinions?

you have to get a hold of your college transcripts, and you literally copy (WORD FOR WORD) every course name, code and letter grade received into AADSAS.... you let addsas do the rest.

AADSAS will calculate your overall GPA from ALL courses taken together. So for example if you (this is just a simplified example) only took 2 classes: Organic 1 and Organic 1 again (retake)... The first time you got a C and 2nd time you got an A... your AADSAS overall GPA will be a B.

I believe schools only take into consideration what AADSAS calculates for them

They look at the AADSAS GPA which will be lower than your school's GPA. They also have their own scale for assigning a value to an A+, A, A-, B+, etc. that may be different from your school. It makes it easier for dental schools to compare applicants.

I apologize about my initial post, i meant to say "preparing" and someone had mentioned to me the Grading system the application uses.

I think that them averagine ALL your classes, including repeated courses, really sucks bc if you don't have a super high gpa than it definitly puts you in a more disadvantaged situation. I think it would of been better to apply through your school.

Has anyone been adversly affected by this grading system?

I apologize about my initial post, i meant to say "preparing" and someone had mentioned to me the Grading system the application uses.

I think that them averagine ALL your classes, including repeated courses, really sucks bc if you don't have a super high gpa than it definitly puts you in a more disadvantaged situation. I think it would of been better to apply through your school.

Has anyone been adversly affected by this grading system?

ofc there have been people adversely affected.... people with sub-2.0 GPAs under most circumstances don't make it into healthcare schools.

people don't develope "super high gpa" because (under most circumstances) they decided to have a little too much fun in undergrad rather than hitting the books.... its not the system's fault.

I am not sure what your definition of "super high gpa" is... but a respectable GPA is 3.4+ (both overall and science)... I am willing to bet majority (if not all) of undergrad universities in this country allow for such GPA to be achieved (assuming you have average intelligence and healthcare on your mind)

(assuming you have average intelligence and healthcare on your mind)

I am ASSUMING most people with average gpa's of 3.4/3.5 r student who have the benefit of focusing primarily on school and not worrying about such things as having to work a lot or even having a job. So I wouldn't necessarily say its having average intelligance or healthcare on their mind but more like not everyone has the AVERAGE circumstances.

I am ASSUMING most people with average gpa's of 3.4/3.5 r student who have the benefit of focusing primarily on school and not worrying about such things as having to work a lot or even having a job. So I wouldn't necessarily say its having average intelligence or healthcare on their mind but more like not everyone has the AVERAGE circumstances.

you do realize that dental schools are looking for a very special breed of individuals... mostly people who focus a lot of thier time and attention on their education.... Im sorry to say, but dental school isn't for everyone

While your circumstances seem genuine and admirable, its doesn't change one fact: How are you going to support yourself in dental school when you have to spend a good 5-7 hours a day every day in school?

you do realize that dental schools are looking for a very special breed of individuals... mostly people who focus a lot of thier time and attention on their education.... Im sorry to say, but dental school isn't for everyone

While your circumstances seem genuine and admirable, its doesn't change one fact: How are you going to support yourself in dental school when you have to spend a good 5-7 hours a day every day in school?

Well... I think one of the main reasons dentist have such a large amount of debt after they graduate is because they supported themselves and any other expenses via loans. And that "special breed" does not necessarily mean people who spent a lot if not all their time into education. I know for a fact that a lot of schools are looking for well rounded students who didn't just study all day. I personally think the individuals you are referring to are the same dentists who have dry personalities because they are extremely book smart but lack a very important aspect of dentistry - which is people skills. Just my personal opinion. No disrespect.

Well... I think one of the main reasons dentist have such a large amount of debt after they graduate is because they supported themselves and any other expenses via loans. And that "special breed" does not necessarily mean people who spent a lot if not all their time into education. I know for a fact that a lot of schools are looking for well rounded students who didn't just study all day. I personally think the individuals you are referring to are the same dentists who have dry personalities because they are extremely book smart but lack a very important aspect of dentistry - which is people skills. Just my personal opinion. No disrespect.

While this is true, the fact that everyone has the same chance to get a 3.4-4.0 GPA is also true... No matter the circumstances, one can push themselves and strive for excellence.... I worked FULL time ( 40 HRS a week ) and still have been able to maintain 3.6 cGPA and pay for all my own stuff including education. Even had family issues which included bad medical problems and the works.. But my "FUTURE CAREER" is important to me and therefore I work my butt off to do my best... So all in all I would have to say that everyone has an EQUAL chance like DentalWorks stated.. :D

I agree with what you're saying 100 percent, however I do think that it might be a bit simplified. Given how competitive dental school applications are nowadays, schools can afford to be choosy-- to find students who are both strong in people skills and strong students. Being just one or the other are both undesirable candidates.