AADSAS DAT Processing Time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MAR89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, just a quick question:

I've heard that it can take a few weeks for AADSAS to receive/and or send out your DAT scores from the time you take it. Is this true? Judging from this statement on the AADSAS website:

"DAT Scores Imported Directly into ADEA AADSAS Application Starting with the 2011 ADEA AADSAS application, applicants no longer self-report DAT scores in the application. ADEA AADSAS will obtain your official DAT scores directly from the American Dental Association's Testing Services Center and will import them directly into your application. If you take the DAT after your ADEA AADSAS application has been sent to your designated dental schools, an updated application, reflecting your DAT scores will be forwarded to schools just as soon as the scores are received."

it seems as if it's all automated, in which case, I'm wondering what exactly the reason would be for such a long processing time?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm planning on taking the DAT late June/early July, and was wondering whether sending in my application asap on June 3rd or whenever would be of any help at all without my DAT scores to go along with it, as I know the schools won't review my application until everything is in. I understand that it does take 4-6 weeks for AADSAS to send out the application itself. If it takes them just as long to send out the DAT scores upon completion, should I just submit my application once I finish the DAT? Not that it would matter in this case, but I was just curious as to what advantage submitting early would give if the DAT scores themselves take just as long to process as the application.

I suppose my real question is simply this: How long does it take for AADSAS to send out my DAT scores after I take it? And does the new system do anything to speed up this process at all?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last cycle it took about two weeks to get scores to be reported to AADSAS. It's all electronic, but the cause for the delay is the fact that your unofficial scores get audited before being finalized. That's what we're told, and I don't know exactly what that means or if people's unofficial scores ever change, but plan on 2 weeks.

Alright thanks. Quick followup question:

If schools only begin to review applications starting in August (which is what I've heard, again not sure if that's accurate), technically would taking the DAT mid-July be the latest one could take it while still being considered in that proverbial "first batch"?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well schools supposedly look at applications in the order that they were received. (You'll see instances where this looks like it's not the case, but this is generally true.) If you get your app in during late July, you'll still be behind all of the applications submitted in June and early July, so no you won't be first batch. Probably two or three mailings will have gone out by then.

It's not the end of the world to not be in the first batch by any means. I would say anything in June and July is fine. If you application is on the weaker end, however, you should be giving yourself every advantage by applying as early as possible. Competition gets tighter and tighter as the cycle progresses.

Well schools supposedly look at applications in the order that they were received. (You'll see instances where this looks like it's not the case, but this is generally true.) If you get your app in during late July, you'll still be behind all of the applications submitted in June and early July, so no you won't be first batch. Probably two or three mailings will have gone out by then.

Alright, and by that first sentence do you mean they look at applications in the order that they were completed (including LOR's, DAT, the whole shabam)? By that I mean that an application mailed June 3rd without DAT scores would not be among the first reviewed. Correct? Sorry for the nitpicking!

Alright, and by that first sentence do you mean they look at applications in the order that they were completed (including LOR's, DAT, the whole shabam)? By that I mean that an application mailed June 3rd without DAT scores would not be among the first reviewed. Correct? Sorry for the nitpicking!

Right, I meant "complete applications." :thumbup:

Haha ok, great. Thanks gigawatt