AAEM vs ACEP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ohboy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question for attendings and residents -

I joined AAEM about 2 years ago and recently joined ACEP/EMRA. Knowing the different direction these organizations go would it be wise to list both on my CV? Should I just pick one? Which one?

Members don't see this ad.

I list both on my CV. I'm a fellow of AAEM (and list it after my name), but ACEP requires 3-5 years of board status before you can attain fellowship. I'm not even sure I will become a fellow of ACEP as AAEM seems to be more in-line with my philosophy on organized EM.

For those of us who don't know, what are the basic differences in philosophy? The main thing I noticed is that student membership in AAEM is free while ACEP is not.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of us who don't know, what are the basic differences in philosophy? The main thing I noticed is that student membership in AAEM is free while ACEP is not.

There's no reason you can't list both. A lot of residencies sign up everyone for both. People go to both conferences. As a medical student, you should definitely join both.

Differences: they are really different. ACEP is larger. I've gone to their meetings but can't say too much about it because I don't know it as well. I know AAEM much better. AAEM is more exclusive: only EM residents, students going into EM, and physicians board-certified in EM can join. Its philosophy is to promote EM as a specialty. One of the things I like about it is its advocacy for EM physicians. For example, Texas Medical Board is considering allowing those who are NOT EM-trained (for example, FPs who get a "fellowship" in emergency care with a 3-month training) to be called emergency physicians. This is crazy; why on earth are we doing a residency if anyone can call themselves an EP? AAEM would advocate against this--and for our specialty.