Acep dying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EctopicFetus

Keeping it funky enough
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else gotten a call begging them to come to scientific assembly? Membership dying. It’s about time. They finally said something slightly meaningful (note no actual action taken) about cmgs. Perhaps with Adelman and other clowns giving usacs clowns a pass as not being a cmg and all the cmg leaders out of Acep they finally have something to say. Bunch of sissies a decade too late.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If it bleeds we can kill it

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There’s still a USACS cmg clown on the ACEP board of directors, as was mentioned on the article that @EctopicFetus posted in the other thread.

As for membership declining, I would like to see the stats on that. Pretty sure with those exploding residencies they just auto enroll the residents, since it’s ‘free’..

Reactions: 1 users
ACEP does nothing for the specialty or its members. It's a useless organization that doesn't deserve to even exist. Getting rid of ACEP is a good first step to get rid of the CMGs.

They need to pick better places to do the scientific assembly.
Nobody wants to go to Philly (no offense) if it was Orlando, savannah, Charlotte, vegas, Miami, etc. people would go

Nobody wants to go to San Fran and Philly

I stopped paying dues to ACEP when any attempt to address day to day concerns of pit docs, were met with either denial, fatalism or blaming to the pit docs. That was 20 years ago.

I started to wonder if those in ACEP weren't those who loved and thrived most in EM as presented, but instead had found a stealth EM-exit planned disguised as a "leadership" role, which allowed them to save face.

Reactions: 7 users
When I found out they had CMGs on their board, they were dead to me.

I agree, I would be scared to go out at nights in Philly, SF, or Seattle. Put it in Vegas/FL or Texas and I would go just for fun

It's in Vegas next year. We were thinking of going just for Vegas and skipping the actual conference. I went in residency and the conference was a waste of time, even for a resident. Zero reason for an attending to go; there are far better uses of $1700.

Reactions: 2 users
It's in Vegas next year. We were thinking of going just for Vegas and skipping the actual conference. I went in residency and the conference was a waste of time, even for a resident. Zero reason for an attending to go; there are far better uses of $1700.
Exactly. It's a great tax deductible vacation. Just show up, register for the courses, and claim some CME.

If it bleeds we can kill it
See image for relevant reference
2oicpe.jpg

I keep receiving Acep emails, mail, and random calls to re join. Nope

I pay for AAEM, but even that I am questioning membership. They actually went after envision but envision went belly up. So I don’t know what these organizations have actually done to help for the average pit doc

Members don't see this ad :)

I pay for AAEM, but even that I am questioning membership. They actually went after envision but envision went belly up. So I don’t know what these organizations have actually done to help for the average pit doc
You do have to be a true democratic group to join the AAEM-Physicians Group. They’re going after the corporate practice of medicine so they’re good in my book. Supporting true SDGs will benefit the average pit doc in the long run.

I stopped paying dues to ACEP when any attempt to address day to day concerns of pit docs, were met with either denial, fatalism or blaming to the pit docs. That was 20 years ago.

I started to wonder if those in ACEP weren't those who loved and thrived most in EM as presented, but instead had found a stealth EM-exit planned disguised as a "leadership" role, which allowed them to save face.
I’m convinced that this is the case for most “med leadership” doctors, whether they’re in academia, hospital systems, etc. These are almost always people looking for an exit strategy that still keeps them “in medicine” and retains the paycheck.

Has anyone else gotten a call begging them to come to scientific assembly? Membership dying. It’s about time. They finally said something slightly meaningful (note no actual action taken) about cmgs. Perhaps with Adelman and other clowns giving usacs clowns a pass as not being a cmg and all the cmg leaders out of Acep they finally have something to say. Bunch of sissies a decade too late.
I got like three emails in the last few weeks, and I’m not even a member.

Side question: why do people add “FACEP” to their letter-salad titles? The only message I ever get from it is “I paid these guys money for no reason.”

Nobody wants to go to Philly (no offense) if it was Orlando, savannah, Charlotte, vegas, Miami, etc. people would go

Savannah and Charlotte?

I’m not a big California guy but San Fran pre covid was a nice little trip.

Charlotte? I’m guessing yiy have some bias. I’ve been there. Meh. The other cities I dig.

Philly has cool history but agreed it’s a bit of a pit.

I believe the lawsuit vs envision is still alive fwiw.

I pay for AAEM. Partly because I think the people and motives of those who are leading the organization are seem good, and partly because if I want to go to the AAEM conference it's covered in my membership dues and I have access to online cme all year for no additional cost. I feel like I can actually get some money's worth out of the aaem membership whereas I felt like I was just paying for letters with acep. At least aaem tries to give you something of value for your $$$.

I got like three emails in the last few weeks, and I’m not even a member.

Side question: why do people add “FACEP” to their letter-salad titles? The only message I ever get from it is “I paid these guys money for no reason.”
People like letters. Letters mean you are smart.

Received the same phone call with a VM that seemed awfully scripted and uninspiring. Just like you I found it odd and my first thought was that registration numbers are down.

Savannah and Charlotte?

I’m not a big California guy but San Fran pre covid was a nice little trip.

Charlotte? I’m guessing yiy have some bias. I’ve been there. Meh. The other cities I dig.

Philly has cool history but agreed it’s a bit of a pit.

I probably have some bias as I’ve been there and had fun.

But in general people want more options beyond San Fran.

Even San Diego was good

And obviously nobody wanted to go to Philly. That’s why their anticipated attendance is so low, and they are now calling to beg people to come

San Fran? Everyone is leaving, because is covered in human excrement and it looks like a scene from a Purge movie.

Philly? Lol. Philly has been trash (and the denizens are straight hostile) for this whole PA boy's life.

ACEP. Clueless again.

San Fran? Everyone is leaving, because is covered in human excrement and it looks like a scene from a Purge movie.

Philly? Lol. Philly has been trash (and the denizens are straight hostile) for this whole PA boy's life.

ACEP. Clueless again.
Should be cities that are safe, that people actually want to go to. If I'm going for vacation (not for the worthless brainwashing). I'd suggest rotation of: San Diego, Las Vegas, Denver, San Antonio/Austin, Miami, Orlando, Boston.

Should be cities that are safe, that people actually want to go to. If I'm going for vacation (not for the worthless brainwashing). I'd suggest rotation of: San Diego, Las Vegas, Denver, San Antonio/Austin, Miami, Orlando, Boston.

Orlando is gross.
I'm biased, but the only reason to go is "Theme Park", and I've had enough theme park to last me the next 2-3 decades.
They're getting worse.

Maybe a few resort type areas would be nice - Jackson Hole, Park City etc.

ACEP. Clueless again.
San Francisco is actually on the rebound after reaching rock bottom sometime in the last two years. And has a lot of work to do before the average tourist should visit. No thanks to a conference in SF.

Vegas is a winner everytime. Maybe not the gamblers. It has the be the best conference city in the US even for those that hate drinking and gambling.

Vegas is great.. can only do that so often. Wondering as we have a ton of new EMRA members and ABEM docs will acep grow just because of more docs or will the discontent harm them?

Many of the CMGs would pay for acep membership but we have seen TH offer their own CME in lieu of CME $$$, similarly i cant imagine envision is paying for membership anymore like they did at a few of their W2 sites. Hard to see anyone with a functional brain finding value in their ACEP membership. Seemingly its only the EM docs looking to climb up the corporate medicine ladder or become politicians like Gillian who waste their time on that 💩 org.

Okay I guess I'm not *only* here to say this.

I love AMA (dont @ me, I know what you want to say already. I just do love them). Been in that advocacy track since med school. But my residency encouraged me to take advantage of free ACEP membership and covered the cost of going/housing for ACEP assembly for us at our last year (vegas for me). All of this was nominally meant to sell it to me. But my leadership was also pretty open about the fact that all of them preferred AAEM and were only ACEP members because their union* covered the membership for them. This stuck with me and I basically faded away from ACEP real fast during attending-hood. I havent gone in on AAEM, yet. But thats more a bit of disenfranchisement with AAEM being (previously) a bit of an outsider to AMA but that has changed and I need to consider switching up my own habits because of it. I can see AAEM being more relevant and I appreciate that. ACEP needs to right the boat and change their focus and I dont see how they do it. they just dont seem motivated to do what needs to be done.

*thats right. unionized docs. that unicorn does exist!

Orlando is gross.
I'm biased, but the only reason to go is "Theme Park", and I've had enough theme park to last me the next 2-3 decades.
They're getting worse.

Fun fact: MC Hammer is a televangelist in Orlando.

Partly as a roundabout way of advertising board certification in a specialty. Partly, for some organizations, to advertise a certain level of service and achievement within their specialty.

Never been to SLC, I’d be open to that since park city is only 40 minutes away.

Who am I kidding, I’d just skip ACEP and go to park city lol.

Never been to SLC, I’d be open to that since park city is only 40 minutes away.

Who am I kidding, I’d just skip ACEP and go to park city lol.

September – too early to ski, but OK for hiking and MTB.

Weird choice, though, I agree. Sometimes there are financial incentives trying to attract conferences to town.

There was nothing more gratifying than cancelling my ACEP membership last year. I hope and pray they go belly up. They've done absolutely nothing for this specialty and are slaves to the CMGs.

There was nothing more gratifying than cancelling my ACEP membership last year. I hope and pray they go belly up. They've done absolutely nothing for this specialty and are slaves to the CMGs.
Indeed. Best thing we can do is advertise this amongst our colleagues. Give $0 to Acep. Let them bleed.

Savannah and Charlotte?
I liked Savannah when I lived there for 2 years. Lots of great restaurants and bars. However, I don't see this as a potential site for a Scientific Assembly. There really isn't a place with enough meeting space unless things have changed since I was there (2002-2004). Savannah is a quaint Southern city with a lot of great looking scenery (trees with Spanish moss), but there isn't a ton to do there.