AAFP Monographs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sd2489

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Worth it to buy a 1 or 2 year subscription while in residency? I've read some old ones and really like them, but I'm thinking of buying the updated ones to supplement my learning. I'm a new-minted PGY2! Its costs around $400-700 depending on length of the subscription...

Members don't see this ad.

FP Essentials -in my opinion- is more geared towards CME for practicing physicians. As a resident you need a faster pace of topic review. A topic a month is probably too slow for you, as opposed to reading the AFP journal, that has several topics (plus other journals to supplement it, like the Journal of Family Practice).

However, if you already read those journals and want to do even more, FP Essentials is a great resource.

FP Essentials -in my opinion- is more geared towards CME for practicing physicians. As a resident you need a faster pace of topic review. A topic a month is probably too slow for you, as opposed to reading the AFP journal, that has several topics (plus other journals to supplement it, like the Journal of Family Practice).

However, if you already read those journals and want to do even more, FP Essentials is a great resource.

Thanks!! I appreciate it! I'll hold off on FP Essential for now then. I already have the AAFP journals so I'll just start reading Journal of Family Practice as well!