aah! tomorrow!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happyasaclam88

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm taking my dat tomorrow and i'm super nervous! i was wondering what advice all you sdn-ers out there could give me on some last minute things to study, especially for bio (i know there's SO MANY questions that could be on the test, but what do you think is a good little thing to look up and know?).

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

check out my menstraul cycle thread, they always have that on the test with the different hormones at every level...memorize the steps and what connects to what and youll be good for that...

The reason why I am saying to just relax is because I don't want you to freak out like I did, saying from my own experience. I remember last year the day before the exam I studied like 10 hrs and went nuts memorizing all kinds of stuff. All I did was stress myself out completely. This time around the day before the exam I am not even touching the book :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
The reason why I am saying to just relax is because I don't want you to freak out like I did, saying from my own experience. I remember last year the day before the exam I studied like 10 hrs and went nuts memorizing all kinds of stuff. All I did was stress myself out completely. This time around the day before the exam I am not even touching the book :rolleyes:

i couldnt agree more... and whatever you do, dont take an achiever exam...

do whatever makes you comfortable whether it's relaxing or studying. For me, I felt like I could review few more stuff, so I studied a few hours the previous day. It didnt either help or hurt, but at least it made me comfortable. Just do what you WANT to do.

JUST BUST IT, BABYYYY

I was speedin' in the fast lane
Pedal to the floor mayne, tryna get back to her love
Best believe she got that good thang
She my little hood thang, ask around they know us
You'll know that's mine...
BUSTTTTTT ITTTT... ba bay bayy
Everybody know that's mine..
BUSTTTT ITTTTT.... ba bay bayy

just got back - i'm happy! i thought the test was fair and that the bio was a little more straightforward than some of the practice questions i've seen on sdn. unlike some people, i had mostly calculations and very little conceptual stuff on gen chem, so i guess there's just no way to predict that.
i totally spazzed on qr. i'm not used to running out of time and i think the impending prospect of actually getting my scores distracted me. i think the key to that section is just to stay calm.
here are my scores:
pat 23
qr 19
rc 25
bio 22
gchem 27
orgo 23
ts 24
aa 23

happy to answer questions, and thanks for the support! sdn rocks.

Great scores. 20+ in everything except QR (which is least important), but 19 which is still good.

damn nice scores man, howd u study for gchem and bio cuz u aced that shiznat....how long did you study for, and were the sciences any difficult?? or straight forward??? thanks

Hey congrats those are amazing scores. How would you compare the level of difficulty of the exam to topscore, or whatever practice exams that you may have used? Also for people that have taken recently how well do you think the looking up facts and then moving to tone questions works on the actual DAT. It works great with topscore and achiever but how about the actual test?? Also and words of wisdom for those of us taking it in the next couple of days?;)

and again congratulation you must feel very relieved!

thanks! they're not picture perfect like yours, but i'm just relieved not to have to take it again. =) and i hope my math grades at school will make up for the qr if anyone asks ... though that's a long way away since i'm not applying til next year.

i am not gonna worry that much since i am applying this cycle lol

anyways, great scores!

what material did you used for science section especially gchem and ochem?

Thanks!

thanks for the kind words everyone! i am a weirdo and didn't use destroyer, topscore, or achiever, so i can't say how those compare, but i will say the crack dat pat is AWESOME for the pat. i thought the real one was even a bit easier than crack. i used the barron's and cliff's books as practice tests and was not doing too well on them, probably around 19-21 range, which is also what i got on the free kaplan one. i used campbell ap bio book to study, and i think working with their really specific HARD questions got me in gear so the ones on the test seemed a bit easier.
for orgo, i just reread my textbook, not much to it. i really didn't study that much for it since i just finished orgo a semester ago. like everyone says, it's straight forward. if you understand the basic stuff like aromaticity, sn2/sn1, and markovnikov/anti then you'll be fine.
for chem, the only thing i really used was an old sat 2 chem book i found in my house and a website from my high school chem teacher: www.chemtopics.com read his lectures and you'll be golden. they'll be your best friend.

sorry, forgot to answer that reading comp question!
this was the first time i've not read full passages on a test, but the "search-and-destroy" method worked really well for me. the key is to really read the paragraph with the answer in it so that if you need to go back to it again, you'll have a background. overall, this should end up with you reading every paragraph. the tone questions i had were really easy and i didn't need to come back to them. with that sort of thing, the questions really can't be that hard just b/c to a certain extent the author's tone is a subjective thing, so the answer is kind of obvious.

for gen chem, you said it was mostly calculations...do you mean you actually had to get a final answer, or just the setup??

WOW congrats!!!! those are amazingggg scores!!!!

Did you have a lot of "tone" questions in RC?

I'm taking it Monday and very worried about OC and GC... any suggestions on what I should review?

Thanks!

my gchem questions asked for final answer, not setup. but by rounding it was usually a pretty quick answer.

there weren't many tone questions, and the ones i had were pretty obvious ... they can't make them too difficult b/c no one *really* knows what the author's intention was.

check out the website for gchem and for orgo, just try and understand what the reactions do in relation to each other ... where one oxidizes, which reduces, which adds markovnikov and which anti? stuff like that.