AAMC 3 Verbal - is it representative of the test?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Member200000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I only took the verbal part, because I've only done a small fraction of my science studying and figured that taking the science sections would be a waste of time right now. I haven't done any verbal practice yet but figured I would just take that part of the test because that section is the least teachable. I got a 10, which I guess is decent, but as an English major for some reason I thought I would do better...some of the questions were just worded in a confusing way. So for anyone who's taken this section of this test, is it representative of the real thing? Would I be able to bring that score up?

I'm taking the test on May 31, so I guess I have time to study.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's very much about practice and understanding how the test writers think, so yes it can be brought up with practice passages.

But seriously - you got a 10 with no studying and three months to go, that's actually pretty impressive. Better than I did for sure lol.

I only took the verbal part, because I've only done a small fraction of my science studying and figured that taking the science sections would be a waste of time right now. I haven't done any verbal practice yet but figured I would just take that part of the test because that section is the least teachable. I got a 10, which I guess is decent, but as an English major for some reason I thought I would do better...some of the questions were just worded in a confusing way. So for anyone who's taken this section of this test, is it representative of the real thing? Would I be able to bring that score up?

I'm taking the test on May 31, so I guess I have time to study.

The verbal in the AAMCs haven't changed nearly as much in recent years as other sections of the test, so yes, it is a good representation of the real thing. The only difference I saw between the AAMCs and the actual MCAT was the length of passages. As far as bringing up your score, you can absolutely see in increase with studying, but realize that it may be more difficult to raise your score significantly in verbal than the other sections, especially when you start at a 10.

AAMC 3 VR was slightly harder than my actual test's. The passage on "television" was poorly written, and I saw a question or two whose answers I disagreed with. I got a 10 VR on AAMC 3 and a 9 on the real thing.

It seemed the passages in AAMC 3 were harder to read and the questions a bit easier. On my real exam, the passages were slightly easier to read, but the questions were harder.

Members don't see this ad :)
The major difference between all of the practice test verbal's and the real thing on January 28th was the length. Then again, it could have just seemed longer because of stress from actually taking the MCAT. Other than that it was similar in style of questions and such. Great start!

AAMC 3 VR was slightly harder than my actual test's. The passage on "television" was poorly written, and I saw a question or two whose answers I disagreed with. I got a 10 VR on AAMC 3 and a 9 on the real thing.

It seemed the passages in AAMC 3 were harder to read and the questions a bit easier. On my real exam, the passages were slightly easier to read, but the questions were harder.

I agree about the passage on television. I remember it asked what a certain paragraph "suggested," and I got the wrong answer on that one, when the right answer was something that I felt the paragraph did not suggest but pretty much explicitly stated! The word "suggested" was inaccurately used IMO, and that threw me off.