AAMC 4R practice exam :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

natusss

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took it and scored 4 points lower than in my last two practice test. I am pretty sad.
I guess I am looking for someone to tell me that Ill be ok :p
Did you guys find 4R to be harder than the other AAMC practice test?

Members don't see this ad.

natusss said:
I just took it and scored 4 points lower than in my last two practice test. I am pretty sad.
I guess I am looking for someone to tell me that Ill be ok :p
Did you guys find 4R to be harder than the other AAMC practice test?

Hey, don't worry. When you take practice tests, your score tends to fluctuate. Keep studying and read the solutions. Plus the 4R is old. Your score would be closer to the AAMC 9, 7, 6R, or 5R.

Don't worry and just think...it's better to make your mistakes now so that you can learn from them. Also, practice scores are going to vary and you have to learn not to put too much weight on the actual scores right now and just concentrating on knowing your stuff.

Yeah, I scored a couple points lower on that one than the others. Don't worry.

Members don't see this ad :)
ironmanf14 said:
4R has a bad reputation

Don't let it get you down

4R was my lowest score. 4 points lower than my eventual average, and 7 points below my April score.

For # 95 or #30 (depending on which version you have..but this is a PS question), the solutions say that enthalpy < 0 since the temperature rose. But if the temperature rose, shouldn't enthalpy > 0? Thanks!

4s4 said:
For # 95 or #30 (depending on which version you have..but this is a PS question), the solutions say that enthalpy < 0 since the temperature rose. But if the temperature rose, shouldn't enthalpy > 0? Thanks!

Ah, the trickiness of exothermic (dH < 0) and endothermic (dH > 0) reactions. The trick is to realize that the thermometer is not a part of the reaction system: what happens to it is the opposite of what happened to the system.

If the thermometer goes up 5C, that energy was *released* by system we are studying, so the reaction was exothermic (dH < 0). The system itself has less energy, and the thermometer/solution/air/container absorbed that energy.

When a reaction is endothermic (dH > 0), the system takes energy away from the thermometer/solution/container/etc., so the temperature on the thermometer goes down.

Does that make sense?

Temperature rises because heat is given off from the reaction. Exothermic reactions give off heat. Exothermic reactions have enthalpies below 0.

4R was my worst so far (1g, 3R-6R) so I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's good for practice when you take 5R and 6R.