AAMC 5 bio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chiddler

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is #105, with the passage about drug X and Y and acetylcholine.

An autosomal recessive, non-lethal mutation (deletion) of the ACh receptor gene occurs in some rats. Which of the following organelles will most likely be abnormal in the rats having this mutation?

A. Microtubules
B. Ribosomes
C. Endoplasmic reticulum
D. Plasma membrane

answer is D.

Question is so vague and i'm not sure exactly what it is testing because an abnormal protein doesn't really indicate an abnormal organelle!

"A mutation that affected the ACh receptor gene would most likely result in 'abnormal' plasma membranes."

Members don't see this ad.

I understand your thinking, but you're looking for the best answer. Since a receptor protein would be found on the plasma membrane, you couldn't go so far as to say that the microtubules are more affected than the plasma membrane.

I understand your thinking, but you're looking for the best answer. Since a receptor protein would be found on the plasma membrane, you couldn't go so far as to say that the microtubules are more affected than the plasma membrane.

:(

i really don't like this question.

thanks.

Reactions: 1 user

Had issues with this one myself. Is the plasma membrane even really an organelle? Second, if there was an issue with the receptor (which is a protein) couldn't it be reasoned that there was an issue with the ribosome (site of protein creation)?

Had issues with this one myself. Is the plasma membrane even really an organelle? Second, if there was an issue with the receptor (which is a protein) couldn't it be reasoned that there was an issue with the ribosome (site of protein creation)?

Plasma membrane is an organelle I believe. But its reasoned to plasma membrane anyways because the ribosome is not defective at all. The ribosome is doing its job in translating the gene but no functional protein is formed that will signaled to be transported to the membrane. Because the gene is deleted there will not be a receptor on the plasma membrane thus causing it to be an abnormal plasma membrane.