• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

chiddler

10+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
This is #105, with the passage about drug X and Y and acetylcholine.

An autosomal recessive, non-lethal mutation (deletion) of the ACh receptor gene occurs in some rats. Which of the following organelles will most likely be abnormal in the rats having this mutation?

A. Microtubules
B. Ribosomes
C. Endoplasmic reticulum
D. Plasma membrane

answer is D.

Question is so vague and i'm not sure exactly what it is testing because an abnormal protein doesn't really indicate an abnormal organelle!

"A mutation that affected the ACh receptor gene would most likely result in 'abnormal' plasma membranes."

brandonh4

5+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I understand your thinking, but you're looking for the best answer. Since a receptor protein would be found on the plasma membrane, you couldn't go so far as to say that the microtubules are more affected than the plasma membrane.

chiddler

10+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I understand your thinking, but you're looking for the best answer. Since a receptor protein would be found on the plasma membrane, you couldn't go so far as to say that the microtubules are more affected than the plasma membrane.

:(

i really don't like this question.

thanks.

Reactions: 1 user

yanks26dmb

10+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student

Had issues with this one myself. Is the plasma membrane even really an organelle? Second, if there was an issue with the receptor (which is a protein) couldn't it be reasoned that there was an issue with the ribosome (site of protein creation)?

About the Ads

havocgene

Feb 11, 2014
Had issues with this one myself. Is the plasma membrane even really an organelle? Second, if there was an issue with the receptor (which is a protein) couldn't it be reasoned that there was an issue with the ribosome (site of protein creation)?

Plasma membrane is an organelle I believe. But its reasoned to plasma membrane anyways because the ribosome is not defective at all. The ribosome is doing its job in translating the gene but no functional protein is formed that will signaled to be transported to the membrane. Because the gene is deleted there will not be a receptor on the plasma membrane thus causing it to be an abnormal plasma membrane.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.