AAMC 5 : Conjugation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EnginrTheFuture

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In AAMC #5 item 116 there is a question about conjugation. The answer explanation had me wondering...

Is conjugation/ f factor plasmid --> sex pilus mechanism only in gram negative bacteria? The answer explanation they give alludes to that and I can't find any support for it or against it online. Any insights here? Just wondering why they would say that?

i0wAM.png

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
if it is an aamc question, please put it in title of post so people like me who have not taken it can avoid. thanks

Put AAMC in your title thread! Some people don't want to see questions ahead of time. But I'm not one of them :)

Conjugation is the bacterial form of mating and I don't read the answer as alluding to this being an isolated mechanism of gram-negative bacteria.

Conjugation is the only form of bacterial genetic recombination that uses a sex pilus f factor. Tranduction involved combining with host dna during a lysogenic cycle, transformation involves taking in genetic information from the surroundings.

Members don't see this ad :)
4 years ago someone had the same question as me... :)

AAMC states that conjugation is a feature of gram-negative bacteria, but I believe gram-positive bacteria can also do conjugation. Can both + and - get it on?

They never said it was a feature exclusively reserved for gram negative bacteria. Conjugation is a feature of gram negative bacteria, just like recombination, binary fission etc...