AAMC 5R "Picasso Passage" : Comparable to any recent real MCAT VR passages?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chlost

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone who took an actual MCAT felt the same way about a passage as they did this one?... I can't understand why they would include one absurd passage among the others which are reasonable, this must have been an "experimental" passage on a real test, right?... I hope so, on 5R VR i got 6 wrong on that passage and 6 wrong on the sum of the other passages, strange.

Members don't see this ad.

I feel your pain, but I can't give you an answer. The "confuscious"(sp?) passage on 3R was crazy as well.

i sure hope it was experimental because it drug my verbal score down from a typical 10-11 to just barely a 9.

I remember that passage as being harder than any other passage on any practice test or actual MCAT. I remember missing the majority of my points on that passage for 5R too.

Members don't see this ad :)
That passage was stupid. I got 4 wrong on it and only 6 or 7 wrong on all the passages from all the other practice tests and the actual April MCAT combined. It was insane.

but wait um um if its standardizes shouldnt everyone have a -5/6 on that passage so it cant hurt me on the real test can it?
i mean sure i will be -5 extra but if everyone finds it hard ( ie if it is arguably unfitting) then they will adjust the scale accordingly? please assure me * whimper * :(

i havent taken the 5 r (this weekend i will) but jdad told me bout how big a bitch it is..what made it tough..was it an absurd passage where its impossible to get thru or were the questions just tough...and they say people are suppose to improve on 5r..hahaha

so this thread is 4+ years old, BUT i feel your pain! i took that today! i consistently got 10s on the AAMC VRs and got a 10 on my real MCAT in april, but i'm retaking it this week to improve my science scores. i have been practicing my science sections mucho and brought them up to where i want them. i didn't take any VR at all since my last MCAT till today on AAMC5, and I got an 8! i was like "oh shoot not a good sign!!" then i looked and i missed 4 on that stupid picasso passage. that one was garbage.

if it lets you feel any better, the mcat i took in april had all reasonable passages. none were ones like picasso, or that confuscious one (i still remember that passage from 4 months ago!).

wow.......I'd love to meet the person who got 100% on this one, I'm usually pretty good with verbal but this passage just destroyed me. :scared:

I agree completely! I only got 6 wrong in the entire VR section on the CBT (which is easily the best I've ever done) and 3 of my wrong answers were on that stupid passage. I also spent a good 10 minutes on it because it confused the hell out of me :(

I missed 2 on this passage. I seemed to have the most trouble with the K-T boundary/CO2 passage. I seem to be averaging 2 wrong a passage..i really need to get that down to 1 haha

Oh dear. This was the most frustrating section ever. Confucius one was bad but not nearly as bad as this one.

For whatever reason I think I only missed 2-3 on Picasso.

Missed every question in the behaviorism passage on AAMC 8 though. Somehow still got a 9.

Sorry for the bump.

zomg, I got 31/40 on AAMC #5 (VR 10), but missed 5 just on that damn Piccaso passage...that was definitely a killer.

this passage is bull****.

SPOILER**
example- question 109 "The word nature is used in the sense of:"

c. intuitive artistic mastery.
d. uncontrolled creative impulses.

the explanation says that the answer should combine the two aspects of picasso's work, but the question is asking about how the word nature is used, it doesn't say anything about relating it to the duality of picassos childlike and cerebral artistry. BULL****. as it stands in the passage the word is used to describe the extreme of unreflective virtuoso and nothing else

verbal reasoning is bull ****, what the hell exactly do they expect of us potential doctors?

i tell ya, if anyone could get a 15 on VR, they'd be able to find out what it is, women truly want;)