aamc 6 kinematics question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crazymedgirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
.For a GPS satellite that is at an angle of 40o from Earth’s horizon, it takes 0.07 s for the radio signal to reach a receiver. What's the distance between the transmitter and receiver?.
. .

. .
Ok, so they say it's just a matter of using x=vt. We're given v as being something (I forget what) and the question obviously gives t. But I don't understand why we don't have to take into account the angle here. Wouldn't it affect v somehow? Isn't that the whole thing with splitting up horizontal and vertical motion?

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, v = speed of light.

Second, the angle doesn't matter. The 40 degrees is there to throw you off. It's just one dimensional motion: radio waves goes in a straight line from the transmitter to the receiver.

Ok, thanks a lot.

Is that a really hard question or is it just me? I don't see why it would be a necessarily known fact that radio transmissions move in a straight line....or at least, I certainly missed that in my content review!

It's kind of discouraging how easy it is to be thrown off by the slightest little fact that you may have not covered.

Ok, thanks a lot.

Is that a really hard question or is it just me? I don't see why it would be a necessarily known fact that radio transmissions move in a straight line....or at least, I certainly missed that in my content review!

It's kind of discouraging how easy it is to be thrown off by the slightest little fact that you may have not covered.
You become better at the tricky question the more you do them...arent we taking the test on the same day? Sept 10th?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, thanks a lot.

This is the difference between studying core material and studying MCAT questions and isolated ideas. And Im not belittling latter either, because its useful too. But it is also important to read the textbook and even study what may seem extraneous offered there, because that provides broad knowledge on the material tested in the MCATs, and can really save your ass heheh.