AAMC Application major mistake

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fun1nth3sun1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I just submitted my primary but I realized when looking over the work/activites section that I only input 1 one activity and did not finish filling out the rest of my activities. What should I do in this case? Do I just send schools an update letter informing them of this mistake? Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Permitted Changes
After the initial submission of your application, you may only make changes to the following information:

• Your ID numbers.
  • Your name, including full legal name, preferred name, and alternate names.
  • Your contact Information, including your permanent address, preferred mailing address, and e-mail address.
  • Your alternate contact information.
  • Your date of birth and sex.
  • Letters of evaluation (although please note that you can only make additions of up to 10 letters, and you must notify AMCAS if you have a letter you wish to no longer be sent to medical schools; you cannot delete letters of evaluation from your application).
  • Your next MCAT testing date.
  • The addition of medical schools and the altering of existing program types (deadlines, restrictions and an additional fee may apply).
  • The release of your application information to your prehealth advisor.

I'm sure you've already googled this but just in case the AMCAS website only lists the following which doesn't include modifying activities. Pretty sure it is too late to pull your application and still make it this cycle but I am going to cross my fingers and hope that I am wrong! This looks like a question for @Goro @gonnif

Hey everyone,

So I just submitted my primary but I realized when looking over the work/activites section that I only input 1 one activity and did not finish filling out the rest of my activities. What should I do in this case? Do I just send schools an update letter informing them of this mistake? Thank you

So you only have 1/15 activities filled out, and added all your schools, but didn't realize this until after you submitted?
Did you add all your schools or did you just apply to a throwaway?

Members don't see this ad :)
Withdraw your application and apply next year. By writing a letter to the schools to somehow add to your application without going thru AMCAS would be a violation on the schools part. Additionally, it would just be pointing out that you are so sloppy, unprepared, lack attention to detail, that even the most cursory proofreading would have caught this. If you dont even care enough to be careful in applying, what does that say about your competency to be a careful physician? I would withdraw now before verification so you do not become a reapplicant at all the schools next cycle. You will lose all your money but you also will be wasting more with secondaries. Take the pain and disappointment now and move on. This is about as bonehead an error that is possible and no medical school is gonna admit a bonehead. Get it withdrawn before it becomes known at all the schools

And now I will rant here generally on this. Far, far too often I am utterly astounded that the best and the brightest, the premeds, cant even be careful in their application. I find many have not even asked anyway to proofread it before submitting. I find many do not print it off in a pdf and proofread themselves. I advise all students to: 1) have at least 2 proofreaders; 2) to print off via PDF and proofread it; and 3) read it out loud together with a proofreader. That last one is vital and I mean EVERY letter, word, date, title, hour. You will be amazed what you catch from missing a coma to incorrect hours to see just how bad some run-on sentence reads
Honestly there’s not really a way to survive this one.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone,

Withdraw. Take a gap year. Do something fun!

Reactions: 1 users
Well that's a tough life lesson.

Take a week to grieve this, scream into the abyss, eat all the ice cream you can afford, and punch pillows.
Then pick yourself up, dust yourself off, forgive yourself, make a plan for the next year, and forge ahead.
This is a one-year detour you certainly didn't plan, but you have to work with what you've got now. Use this opportunity to find the gems in the rubble.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey everyone,

You could save a year of attending salary by applying DO this cycle

Reactions: 8 users
You could save a year of attending salary by applying DO this cycle
Yes, that is exactly what I am going to do. To be honest I really wanted to go the osteopathic route from the very beginning. I like the holistic approach to medicine. Not even sure if I was even competitive for MD since I have not taken my MCAT yet.

Reactions: 1 user
Withdraw your application and apply next year. By writing a letter to the schools to somehow add to your application without going thru AMCAS would be a violation on the schools part. Additionally, it would just be pointing out that you are so sloppy, unprepared, lack attention to detail, that even the most cursory proofreading would have caught this. If you dont even care enough to be careful in applying, what does that say about your competency to be a careful physician? I would withdraw now before verification so you do not become a reapplicant at all the schools next cycle. You will lose all your money but you also will be wasting more with secondaries. Take the pain and disappointment now and move on. This is about as bonehead an error that is possible and no medical school is gonna admit a bonehead. Get it withdrawn before it becomes known at all the schools

And now I will rant here generally on this. Far, far too often I am utterly astounded that the best and the brightest, the premeds, cant even be careful in their application. I find many have not even asked anyway to proofread it before submitting. I find many do not print it off in a pdf and proofread themselves. I advise all students to: 1) have at least 2 proofreaders; 2) to print off via PDF and proofread it; and 3) read it out loud together with a proofreader. That last one is vital and I mean EVERY letter, word, date, title, hour. You will be amazed what you catch from missing a coma to incorrect hours to see just how bad some run-on sentence reads
Hi Gonnif, I had a question on this. Why couldn't the applicant withdraw their app and then just submit again this cycle? The medical schools would not see it right?

Withdrawing your AMCAS application bans you from applying again this year. It is in the rules that you agree to when submitting.
Oh wow, have not submitted yet so I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.