AAMC CBT8 and 8R OFFICIAL Q&A

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vihsadas

No summer
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is the official Q&A thread for AAMC CBT8 and 8R.

Please post ONLY questions pertaining to AAMC CBT8 and 8R.
Out of respect for people who may not have completed the other exams, do not post questions or material from any other AAMC exam.

Please see this thread for the rules of order before you post.

Good luck on your MCAT!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think that question relates to the experimental data provided - directly.

It is saying, if this anomaly happened to occur, how could we explain it?

Also, a pure triacyl glycerol doesn't mean all the hydrocarbon chains are the same - it just means that each triacyl glycerol has the same structure.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think that question relates to the experimental data provided - directly.

It is saying, if this anomaly happened to occur, how could we explain it?

Also, a pure triacyl glycerol doesn't mean all the hydrocarbon chains are the same - it just means that each triacyl glycerol has the same structure.
Ah, I thought it did since the passage stated "researchers saponified a pure triacylglycerol and discovered that four fatty acid salts..." I think all this time I was going, "well if you only have a single molecule of a triacylglycerol, the max # of different fatty acids should be 3, even if one has a double bond." So I picked the weird unlikely answer of the glycerol converting into a FA.

but it looks like it was more like saponifying a solution of triacylglycerols rather than a single molecule, which means I misread/misunderstood. Thank you!

Ah, I thought it did since the passage stated "researchers saponified a pure triacylglycerol and discovered that four fatty acid salts..." I think all this time I was going, "well if you only have a single molecule of a triacylglycerol, the max # of different fatty acids should be 3, even if one has a double bond." So I picked the weird unlikely answer of the glycerol converting into a FA.

but it looks like it was more like saponifying a solution of triacylglycerols rather than a single molecule, which means I misread/misunderstood. Thank you!

Oh I apologize. I didn't look back at the test before replying and assumed that statement was from the question stem. It does indeed apply to the experiment.