AAMC FL1 498 and test one sept 1st. Should I cancel my test date?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ki-100

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am so scare right now, how should I improve my score.

Members don't see this ad.

Take another practice test. If it's not what you are hoping for, then you should wait until you are adequately prepared. A score you are unhappy with will never go away. If you're scheduled for September, then you're late for this cycle anyway. Waiting for January might be best.

Take another practice test. If it's not what you are hoping for, then you should wait until you are adequately prepared. A score you are unhappy with will never go away. If you're scheduled for September, then you're late for this cycle anyway. Waiting for January might be best.
But if I took another AAMC FL I will only have 1 more full length to practice. Is it ok to reuse your old AAMC FL to gauge your performance?

Members don't see this ad :)
It could be a fluke. Take one more AAMC test but don't waste both practice tests if you're going to cancel

I would use the AAMC sample test and save the FLs in case you need to reschedule. There are posts on Reddit that will help you convert the percentages you get from the sample to the actual scoring system. The sample test is somewhat easier than the FLs though so just take that into consideration. Good luck!

If it were me, I would take a few months, prep hard, and move test to Jan. Be more competitive next cycle. This is not a test you want to go into unprepared. I started my first ever practice test with a 498, And didn’t take the test until I scored above 510 on FLs. Even then, I didn’t score as high as I wanted to and was disappointed. It’s a beast of a test. Make your decisions wisely. Just my opinion but you do what you are comfortable with as it is your decision to make.

If it were me, I would take a few months, prep hard, and move test to Jan. Be more competitive next cycle. This is not a test you want to go into unprepared. I started my first ever practice test with a 498, And didn’t take the test until I scored above 510 on FLs. Even then, I didn’t score as high as I wanted to and was disappointed. It’s a beast of a test. Make your decisions wisely. Just my opinion but you do what you are comfortable with as it is your decision to make.
Did you re-do all AAMC FLs?

Did you re-do all AAMC FLs?

No, I didn’t take FL until I felt comfortable with content material. My three FL were 508, 511, 514. I had two other tests before that where I got 496, 506. Then did more content review.

I recommend all AAMC material, and practice all CARS you can (I can’t stress that enough). I wish I did more. It was my worst section and killed me. I am a slow reader and I struggled a lot with it. Use any free source you can if you cannot pay. Khans, jack w, etc. Try uworld (they have a free trial), if you like it, it’s good. Their questions, explanations and diagrams are pretty great.

I will say this once. Be comfortable taking it once. Do not take it until you are comfortable with the practice score you are getting. My cutoff was 510, as soon as I hit it, I knew I was ready. Someone else may have higher, others lower. My final score was lower because of my poor CARS.

Do the prep and it will pay off. Admissions love to see one great exam. You won’t regret it. I have to now consider taking it again to score higher for MD and I am dreading that decision. Praying I get into DO this cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes cancel your date
Do not take til you are hitting 504 or above, so you will at least hit 500 on actual exam