AAMC Practice Test Scores vs. Real MCAT Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yalie06

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i know most often time the scores you get on the aamc practice are similar to your real scores. any exceptions? just seeking for some consolation here....=)

Members don't see this ad.

I got a maximum of 26 on the timed AAMC practice tests that I tried (and a minimum of 22 or 23) and wound up with a 29 (11V, 9P, 9B) on the real deal. The only difference was that I ran a mile or so prior to the real thing - not sure that it was the deciding factor, but it certainly didn't hurt.

BE SURE TO TIME YOUR PRACTICE TESTS, and make sure to take your time. I didn't even finish all the questions on the Verbal during the real deal; the idea is to get as many right as possible, not to answer as many as possible. And know your science formulae cold.

Good luck.

dc

I found that my practice scores were dead on to my real scores. I never took a full timed practice exam, but rather did a full timed section and then reviewed it right after. So I would take a section like PS in the morning, and then in the afternoon study PS with particular emphasis on the questions I missed. I would get a "10-11" on each section every time I took one, and I got a 32 on the real thing (10,11,R,11). I actually thought I would have done better on the actual thing since on the practice exams as I got to the end of the section I would start getting edgy knowing that in a few minutes I would know how good or bad I did, while on the exam, I felt more relaxed knowing that there was nothing I could do but drink beer and eat wings after the exam.

I don't know if it was just me, but I always found there was one passage that always screwed me in each section. Like for most of the passages, I would miss at most 1-2 questions, but there would one passage where I would get 8 to 10 of the questions wrong, and it always pissed me off since it was always this one damned passage that was keeping me from hitting the 12s and 13s I thought I could reach. Ah well...

Members don't see this ad :)
If this is any consolation for you, I'm not embarrassed to share my crappy scores. I took it in April and got 9s on PS/BS. In my practice exams, I was hitting ~7 getting about 35 wrong. Just wasn't prepared last time. Now my practice scores are ~10. So I hope the same karma will come through on Saturday. :D

**bump**

We could all use a little bit of extra confidence from this post going into the exam tomorrow.

AAMC min- 28
AAMC max- 33
AAMC Avg- 30.5
Real Deal- 26

Feelings... I got a 12 on the PS portion on AAMC test 10 which is said to be the most representative. (AVG PS was about an 11). I couldn't believe how much harder the actual PS questions were. I knew the material, I just didn't under stand the relations to the passages. Got an 8 on the real deal.

Verbal... Didn't feel horrible but didn't feel great. Got an 8... AVG VR was about a 9.

BS was absolutely dreadful but did about what I expected. I killed a few physiology passages but was stuck on 2 micro bio/laboratory questions involving complex viruses and stuff.

All n all the examkracker system was the best study material for me.. Did kaplan the year before and never scored higher than a 28 on a practice test.
Felt like the test short changed me so I am retaking it with about 1.5 months of studying.

Doing the examkracker review again, bought the 1001 passages and like them so far (tons of material), and downloaded audio osmosis (examkracker 12 cds) from some website. It's not very complex and not funny but it does explain many hard to understand qualitative things.

Taking it sept 12th so if anybody reads this, wish me luck

hi everyone, i'm signed up for the sept 4 test but have until aug 20 to get half my money back so i was wondering how soon after you take the amcas free practice test full length 3 you get your score back. I'm repeating and if it's not above 30 i would rather study more and take it january, but i heard that you get your result back in like a week after you take the practice test which seems really stupid

If it's the CBT version one, then you get your score immediately after finishing. If it's the paper one then you get your score as soon as you grade it against the key. So...pretty quick either way. Good luck!

It seems like those who were scoring in the high 30's on practice got a couple of points below their average on the real, those scoring around 30 on practice scored about their average on the real, and those scoring in the 20's on practice scored above their average on the real. Anyone else notice this trend?