AAMC Practice Tests

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pamd

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just purchased practice tests 3R,4R,5R,6R,7,and 8R from ebay. I'm beggining to study for the Mcat this January and am interested in any suggestions on how I should use these tests. Should I not even look at them until I have completed studing all the subject areas and then have timed mock exams? Or should I just dig in from the beggining and get as much practice with them as possible. (Also, i would appreciate if anybody could explain to me what the R stands for after the test number....some have them, but others don't).

Members don't see this ad.

R = revised. In 2003, the AAMC revised the subject list on the MCAT and decided to emphasize certain topics more than others. They revised the practice tests appropriately. The details are on the AAMC's website, but it doesn't matter to you anyway. All you need to know is that the tests are available and they reflect the material the AAMC will test you on. (They didn't update tests 1 & 2 so they aren't available.) Tests 7 & 8 were released after 2003 so they didn't need to be revised.
I started studying about 5-6 hours a day 5 weeks before the MCAT. I studied all of the topics thoroughly before I took any practice tests. Then I studied the content again. Thoroughly. Then I took 2 tests a week about a month before the test - starting with 3R and going on from there. I studied all the content between tests, but focused extra attention on those content areas in which I didn't do as well as I wanted. I didn't give myself a "mock exam", I just took all 217 (or however many there were) questions straight, but I don't have any problems with timing. (So, if you have problems with timing, I suggest you do something else.) My score on the tests went progressively up and peaked at 7 & 8. I reviewed all of the tests and the answer keys and the content (again thoroughly) the week before the MCAT. My actual MCAT score was one point below tests 7 & 8 so I'm not going to complain. My only advice, get a good night's rest before the MCAT and be comfortable and confident while you take it. Don't worry about other people in the test center. All you care about is yourself.
Others will invariably have different approaches/advice.
Good luck!

It sometimes helps to get one practice test out of the way just to see where you are at...

Members don't see this ad :)
I would take them as you go along studying, but save at least 2 or 3 for when you feel like you have studied all topics. I would say you should feel like you have studied everything at least 3 weeks before the test.

Also, the tests were really helpful to get my timing right and the ability to do so was a huge part of maximizing my score. I think you should take them under mock conditions. Best of luck

does anyone know where i can get just the AAMC 4R solutions? I have the 4R test but no solutons :( it seems pointless to buy the whole exam since i already have it. any suggestions would help.