AAMC PS Self-Assessment Official Q&A

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread shall serve as the official site for discussion of the AAMC Self-Assessment in MCAT Physical Sciences.

Members don't see this ad.

q42. a nuclear reactor operates most efficiently if its shape contains the minimum surface area for neutrons to escape for any specific volume. the most efficient reactor would be in the shape of a:
a. cube
b. cylinder
c. sphere
d. slab

i don't understand what physics concept we are being tested on here?

It's just a random fact about what shape has the least surface area. Now you know. :p

Reactions: 1 user
To answer the question their accelerations are different, even if their forces are the same. This means the difference in their velocities will be greater as time progresses. Hence the reason their kinetic energies are also different.

Quick question, I'm not sure I'm thinking of this the right way. I went through and crossed off answers based on the answer that didn't have mass in their equations/changed the value. For KE, mass is in the equation resulting in two different KE. Velocity and acceleration both don't have mass involved but Force = mg. Is this an O.K. way to think about this? Otherwise could you explain why the other choices are wrong?