AAMC Retake Scores- Going Because of Improvement or Recall?

Started by het het
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

het het

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I took the April MCAT (studying from Jan-April) and didn't do as well as I wanted. Since about mid-June, I have been studying again to take the upcoming MCAT, and I am seeing an increase in my AAMC test scores. I am wondering if this is attributable to changes in test taking strategy and better mastering of the concepts (as I feel I have accomplished to some degree), or simply because of sheer recall of some of the test concepts and passages.

AAMC 3- 26 (9,8,9) first time, 34 second time (12,10,12)
AAMC 4- 28 first time (10,7,11), 33 second time (12, 8, 13)
AAMC5- 27 first time (10,7,10), 32 second time (11, 8, 13)

While I do admit that here and there, some questions and passages seem to be familar (and a certain answer rarely screams out at me), I feel that since all my increases have been increased by 5 or more, it is unlikely that they are attributable simply to chance.

Any ideas?

Thanks, all input is appreciated.
 
I always feel strongly about retaking tests. Your brain somehow just remembers the questions and I think that shows in greatly affected results. It could be true that you have improved, but I would take a practice that you haven't yet taken to see if you did improve.
 
I agree with the above, but also, keep in mind that a lot of the questions on the mcat (regardless of section) will have unattractive correct answers. Going into each question looking for the obvious correct answer is not the best strategy because usually an OBVIOUS correct answer won't be an answer choice. Eliminate your way thru the answer choices; it's also the best way to avoid careless mistakes.
 
Guys, I think you are all missing the point of what I am trying to ask...

I am trying to determine how big of a point increase is too large to attribute to sheer recall of the test as opposed to actually learning it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Guys, I think you are all missing the point of what I am trying to ask...

I am trying to determine how big of a point increase is too large to attribute to sheer recall of the test as opposed to actually learning it.

It's not really a question that can be answered. There is not magic point increase number that tells you immediately whether or not you're prepared for your mcat or you just happened to remember the correct answers. The only person that can answer your question is you; in taking your tests, did you remember the correct answer choices or did you have to actually eliminate the wrong answer choices to the right ones. When you chose the right answers, were they familiar to you?
 
Guys, I think you are all missing the point of what I am trying to ask...

I am trying to determine how big of a point increase is too large to attribute to sheer recall of the test as opposed to actually learning it.

I just think in general it's not a good idea to retake a previous exam. Whether you score one point higher or not, I still feel like the score you receive on the practice exam will reflect your previous exposure to at least some extent.

Looking over your mistakes and learning from them, however, is different.
 
I feel that since all my increases have been increased by 5 or more, it is unlikely that they are attributable simply to chance.

Any ideas?

Thanks, all input is appreciated.

Seems you are looking for confirmation from SDN to give you comfort. The other posters are giving you valid points.

The thing is that nobody knows the answer to your question, it depends. I retook the AAMC practice tests 2 years later and I gotta say, I still remember a couple questions and weird answer/passages. Only a couple months have elapsed for you between your retakes. What everybody is saying is that don't take too much pride in your 5 point increase. Rather using a potentially inflated score to give you confidence and gauge a score for the real MCAT, you should look at your errors and improve on them. Be flexible, use different approaches to different problems (use the most comfortable/most efficient methods for you). You can do it!

Best of luck.