AAMC Scored P/S Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kryptonxenon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
25) A researcher suggests that the effect of the testing condition on the affiliation ratings is caused by increased sympathetic nervous system activity due to performing a repetitive behavior. Is this explanation likely to be supported?
Why is C incorrect and why is D correct?

33)Which finding would support the validity of the DMQ measure?
Why is C wrong? I thought validity meant if something was done multiple times you'd expect similar results.

41) Based on the study, which extrinsic factor most likely accounts for the motivational differences between groups?
Isn't B more of an extrinsic factor than A?

53) The research in the passage is best described as a:
I really don't understand "in-depth analysis" hints that a qualitative study is involved.

56) Based on the passage, which conclusion is best supported?
I was between B and D on this question. Both appear to be supported in the passage.

Members don't see this ad.

25) A researcher suggests that the effect of the testing condition on the affiliation ratings is caused by increased sympathetic nervous system activity due to performing a repetitive behavior. Is this explanation likely to be supported?

The question stem is saying: Someone says that performing repetitive behavior increases sympathetic nervous system activity, and that increase is the reason behind the difference in ratings of whether the person felt closer to the experimenter or not.

I'm not sure if the repetitive behavior activates the PNS instead (choice C), but choice D makes a point that in both the synchronous and asynchronous cases, the person is still doing a repetitive finger-tapping behavior. So this can't be the reason behind the difference in ratings, because if it was we would expect similar ratings as both trials would activate the same part of the nervous system.

Why is C wrong? I thought validity meant if something was done multiple times you'd expect similar results.

I picked A first, then C. I guess C measures more of the reliability of the DMQ measure whereas the positive correlation between different types that measure for the same thing would increase validity. I feel ya.

41) Based on the study, which extrinsic factor most likely accounts for the motivational differences between groups?

I picked B too. I reread the passage and it seemed like the animation was the thing getting "powered up or down". Rewards or losses aren't explicitly mentioned and I wasn't sure if they were talking about the immediate feedback in the game or some kind of winning / losing after the game. Again, I feel ya.

I really don't understand "in-depth analysis" hints that a qualitative study is involved.

Qualitative would probably include interviews or feedback surveys. They analyze some data (quantitative) and review a sample of cases (case study) so apparently it's mixed-methods. The question stem is a bit unclear as to which "research" they are talking about in terms of which or both samples IMO. I picked case study thinking that the data analysis would fall under that method. It's not like a case study is somehow fully separate from looking at any data. But that's just me.

I was between B and D on this question. Both appear to be supported in the passage.

Yeah I wish they wouldn't include answers like this because it's a natural inference to be made. B is a little more clearly supportable by the table and less of an inference. AAMC has ambiguous rules as to when to stick to the passage details and when to pull things out of thin air though. Quite a few questions from the scored CARS is a case-in-point.

Yeah I wish they wouldn't include answers like this because it's a natural inference to be made. B is a little more clearly supportable by the table and less of an inference. AAMC has ambiguous rules as to when to stick to the passage details and when to pull things out of thin air though. Quite a few questions from the scored CARS is a case-in-point.

For #56, I thought the evidence to pick D was "Thus, they recreate status hierarchies within work organizations and engage in discriminatory practices that harm women and minorities." --> last sentence of the passage.

[QUOTE="kryptonxenon, post: 18049491, member: 769745"

I was between B and D on this question. Both appear to be supported in the passage.[/QUOTE]

]25) A researcher suggests that the effect of the testing condition on the affiliation ratings is caused by increased sympathetic nervous system activity due to performing a repetitive behavior. Is this explanation likely to be supported?
I have the same question. The passage says, the result supported teh hypothesis, which was that sysnhronous action make people more prone to comply when prompted to engage in aggression, which supports that fact that under both condition (Exp 1 and Exp 2), subjects showed synchronous behaviour. In that case how can the answer choice justifying, the responses were different in two cases be correct.

I am unsure where I am going wrong as I am not able to comprehend this answer. Thanks for any help in understanding this answer choice.

33 can’t b C because that explains reliability, not validity.