You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
AAMC Scored Test 1 Bio/Biochem #45
Started by andelJ94
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
That's what I figured, but I wanted to be sure and see if the AAMC has pulled this crap more than once. Is that a common assumption or just one the AAMC makes?When answering number of anything produced, always assume net. That's always the relevant quantity unless otherwise specified.
It's a common assumption you need Atp to produce ATP.That's what I figured, but I wanted to be sure and see if the AAMC has pulled this crap more than once. Is that a common assumption or just one the AAMC makes?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just curious and I don't mean this in a snarky way at all but what was confusing about this question? I thought it was pretty straight forward had 2 molecules of ATP are produced per glucose, and 2*5= of 10
Where does the 20 factor in? I just am curious if there is something I am missing. Thanks!
Where does the 20 factor in? I just am curious if there is something I am missing. Thanks!
Actually 4 are produced but the process requires 2 to go forward.Just curious and I don't mean this in a snarky way at all but what was confusing about this question? I thought it was pretty straight forward had 2 molecules of ATP are produced per glucose, and 2*5= of 10
Where does the 20 factor in? I just am curious if there is something I am missing. Thanks!
Last edited:
That's what I figured, but I wanted to be sure and see if the AAMC has pulled this crap more than once. Is that a common assumption or just one the AAMC makes?
When talking about chemistry, net is the only quantity that matters. Kind of like income. Gross income doesn't matter to you because you don't actually see it. Net income is what really matters - it's what you have, physically, and what you can actually use.
Careful about that snark, you're missing something important about glycolysis.Just curious and I don't mean this in a snarky way at all but what was confusing about this question? I thought it was pretty straight forward had 2 molecules of ATP are produced per glucose, and 2*5= of 10
Where does the 20 factor in? I just am curious if there is something I am missing. Thanks!
Glycolysis produces 4 ATP per mole of glucose metabolized , while it also consumes 2 ATP per cycle (Steps 1 and 3), hence my question about if by "produced" the AAMC means net or gross, since the process actually produces 4, it yields only 2 ATP for the body to use.
You must not understand my question or the AAMC question well enough if that is the issue you have.It's a common assumption you need Atp to produce ATP.
Thanks @aldol16 for being the one person not to condescend to me for asking questions about the MCAT.
Last edited:
Careful about that snark, your missing something important about glycolysis.
![]()
Glycolysis produces 4 ATP per mole of glucose metabolized , while it also consumes 2 ATP per cycle (Steps 1 and 3), hence my question about if by "produced" the AAMC means net or gross, since the process actually produces 4, it yields only 2 ATP for the body to use.
You must not understand my question or the AAMC question well enough if that is the issue you have.
Thanks @aldol16 for being the one person not to condescend to me for asking questions about the MCAT.
I apologize if you thought I was insulting you because I was not and that was not my intention. That's why I started about by saying I don't mean to be snarky, I only asked and commented on your post so I could fill the gap in my knowledge. Thanks for providing the graphic. Again just to reiterate I was not attempting to be condescending in any way. Good luck in the rest of your studies and I hope you exceed your score goal!
The role of ATP in glycolysis was not my question, if you go to my orginal post and read carefully. The AAMC question asked for the amount of ATP produced by glycolysis. Technically it is 4 total ATP, but only a gain of 2 ATP due to the costs of step 1 and 3. So, depending on what they meant by "produced by glycolysis" both 2 per round and 4 per round could be correct. I have seen BOTH questions asked in my prep so far, and this is the first time I noticed the AAMC taking for granted by produced, they mean net produced. Thus I wanted to be sure this is what they always mean so I can learn from my mistake and get a similar AAMC question right next time.I apologize if i came across as condensing, all i was trying to convey is that you need ATP to start Glycolysis. So without ATP, there is no glycolysis.
I hate to bump this thread a few months after the fact, but can someone please illuminate me on how 10 molecules of ATP are produced from 5 moles of glucose (5x6.022x10^23 molecules).
@aldol16
@aldol16
I hate to bump this thread a few months after the fact, but can someone please illuminate me on how 10 molecules of ATP are produced from 5 moles of glucose (5x6.022x10^23 molecules).
You already know that it's an oversight on their part.