AAMC VITA Answer Length

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blackshad-o

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to be taking the VITA later this week and I was wondering if you all used all 3 minutes of your time to speak on each question? I feel like that is a really long time to be speaking on one topic. Just wanted input, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am going to be taking the VITA later this week and I was wondering if you all used all 3 minutes of your time to speak on each question? I feel like that is a really long time to be speaking on one topic. Just wanted input, thanks!
I think it's meant to be a maximum so you don't feel rushed or end up speaking so fast that you are unintelligible. I honestly don't think there is an expectation that everyone is going to fill all 180 seconds on every question. As with everything else in life (other than maybe the all you can eat buffet :)), the key is going to be quality, not quantity.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it's meant to be a maximum so you don't feel rushed or end up speaking so fast that you are unintelligible. I honestly don't think there is an expectation that everyone is going to fill all 180 seconds on every question. As with everything else in life (other than maybe the all you can eat buffet :)), the key is going to be quality, not quantity.
Thanks so much!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have any advice for the VITA? I am taking mine tomorrow and am feeling slightly uneasy about the whole thing. any help/advice would be appreciated :) thank you!!

Do you have any advice for the VITA? I am taking mine tomorrow and am feeling slightly uneasy about the whole thing. any help/advice would be appreciated :) thank you!!
Do the AAMC practice. For future, please open new thread instead of posting same question in multiple threads.

Yea i used nearly all of my time, sometimes stopping it short by 15 seconds or so. I think about time limits as a reflection of how in-depth they want your answers to be, similar to secondaries. You probably had short and long secondaries on the same question (ex. diversity). In that case your answers aren't fundamentally different, but you'd use more examples and be more descriptive with the longer ones. It's the same with VITA.

Additionally, once you incorporate stories and anecdotes to back up your responses, it won't seem like a long limit. Try it out on a practice test first.

Edit- woops I realized this post is old. Oh well lol