AANA-"removing physician supervision is the right thing to do"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don’t know what to tell you, man. As a resident I could probably do most CT cases without an CT attending supervision without any difference in outcome.

I don’t see the point of CT fellowship training just for those remaining ~10% of cases that may have bad outcomes.

/s
1608137050305.gif

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Not saying it’s right. But our specialty is now run by AMC’s or hospitals (no real difference, it’s all about the bottom line). From a business standpoint it makes very little sense to pay an MD twice as much as a CRNA especially when that MD is essentially extra as he is “supervising” the CRNA not actually doing a case. If I ran an anesthesia business I would come to that conclusion quickly. Really the only thing that is keeping us afloat is the supervision requirement by insurance, Medicare and some states. Once that goes, and it will, we are well and truly fu(ked.

Supervision is still around, but not for the reason you stated. An opt out state has no Medicare requirements for supervision, yet as far as I can tell, most major hospitals in these states have anesthesiologist supervision or direction. small hospitals have CRNA independence with little to no anesthesiologist involvement often due to rural pass through laws. Also, as far as I know, private insurers don’t care and aren’t legally obligated to determine whether or not hospitals have a supervision or direction model or independent CRNAs.

Medicare supervision laws have absolutely no bearing on whether or not an anesthesiologist is present only on physician presence (could be a surgeon). What’s keeping real CRNA independence at bay is the local hospital politics because the supervision/direction is usually a medical bylaws thing specific for each hospital. Which is why anesthesiologists need to be involved in their hospital’s committees.
In addition, if the coding for direction/supervision ever went away, well then that’s the real death of ACT or supervision practice models

only in this field do you get physicians so passive and weak that they will happily throw their colleagues under the bus and cede their territory to poorly trained NURSES. Imagine hearing a surgeon say “i don’t feel sorry if you chose surgery thinking you could do appys and hernias all day”.

how pathetic. We are in sad times when we have people who won’t even defend their field anonymously from behind a keyboard.
100%

Members don't see this ad :)
RN here. To me, Organizing/unionizing seems like the best way for anesthesiologists to prevent further encroachment from CRNAs, but the idea never really gets brought up. Why not? A unified front of specialized physicians would have enormous leverage at the bargaining table.

RN here. To me, Organizing/unionizing seems like the best way for anesthesiologists to prevent further encroachment from CRNAs, but the idea never really gets brought up. Why not? A unified front of specialized physicians would have enormous leverage at the bargaining table.

Nash equilibrium: if each player has chosen a strategy—an action plan choosing its own action based on what it has seen happen so far in the game—and no player can increase its own expected payoff by changing its strategy while the other players keep theirs unchanged, then the current set of strategy choices constitutes a Nash equilibrium.

It’s not clear the benefits would even redound to current practicing physicians either. Most likely, it would benefit the next cohort. We are all financially motivated and self-interested.

Organizing a group of American anesthesiologists? Like a society? Maybe we can give it a snazzy name... like the American Society of Anesthesiologists?

Supervision is still around, but not for the reason you stated. An opt out state has no Medicare requirements for supervision, yet as far as I can tell, most major hospitals in these states have anesthesiologist supervision or direction. small hospitals have CRNA independence with little to no anesthesiologist involvement often due to rural pass through laws. Also, as far as I know, private insurers don’t care and aren’t legally obligated to determine whether or not hospitals have a supervision or direction model or independent CRNAs.

Medicare supervision laws have absolutely no bearing on whether or not an anesthesiologist is present only on physician presence (could be a surgeon). What’s keeping real CRNA independence at bay is the local hospital politics because the supervision/direction is usually a medical bylaws thing specific for each hospital. Which is why anesthesiologists need to be involved in their hospital’s committees.
In addition, if the coding for direction/supervision ever went away, well then that’s the real death of ACT or supervision practice models

Not true about private insurers. Some are reimbursing less for crna only care. If they all do it will be the death knell for crna independence. Get paid less due to lower reimbursement AND be responsible for subpar care? Who would go for that? Even hospital admin are not that stupid. Hopefully.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Of course caveat I’m still a resident only seen things done at an academic place. However I think it’s really easy for us doctors to say “oh even a nurse is able to do this” since we see it around us all the time. But as a CA3 the amount of times I have to bail out a graduating SRNA from an airway or answer a simple question about medical management is quite a lot. I think we take our training as physicians for granted thinking anyone with enough on job training as nurse could do it. Maybe some can but I think a majority would not fly so well, especially coming out fresh. Doctors are trained to be independent right out the gate after residency.

Have you seen some of the surgeon egos out there? Safety isn't a priority to some of them. It is about following the orders from the captain of the ship regardless of how ridiculous. You'll get CRNAs to follow orders a lot easier than you'll get an anesthesiologist.

Organizing a group of American anesthesiologists? Like a society? Maybe we can give it a snazzy name... like the American Society of Anesthesiologists?

Thr ASA is weak and doesn't have the stomach to fight dirty like the AANA.

Not true about private insurers. Some are reimbursing less for crna only care. If they all do it will be the death knell for crna independence. Get paid less due to lower reimbursement AND be responsible for subpar care? Who would go for that? Even hospital admin are not that stupid.
Hopefully this occurs. Also need more malpractice lawyers to realize that CRNA only care does NOT meet the standard of care and that this is ripe pickings when preventable, bad things happen to patients

I’ve always felt that our value lies in our very broad skill set.... Weekly, I’m doing OB, cardiac, thoracic, peds, regional. There are a few crnas here comfortable with one of those... there are no crnas here comfortable with all of those. I’ll admit to a little naïveté (and maybe this is just the case at my shop) but I don’t feel a bit replaceable.

Reactions: 3 users
I’ve always felt that our value lies in our very broad skill set.... Weekly, I’m doing OB, cardiac, thoracic, peds, regional. There are a few crnas here comfortable with one of those... there are no crnas here comfortable with all of those. I’ll admit to a little naïveté (and maybe this is just the case at my shop) but I don’t feel a bit replaceable.
If you can’t do OB, thoracic, and basic regional, you have no business calling yourself an anesthesiologist. Cardiac and peds is a different story, but those are well established areas of specialization. The CRNA threat is to the 90% of cases that aren’t cardiac or peds.

“Even before the story aired Thursday night on NewsNation, there was significant pressure directed at us by the AANP — The American Association of Nurse Practitioners — not to run the story, and alleging that our report unfairly maligns nurse practitioners in America.”

Of course they did.

Reactions: 3 users
Unfortunately until more stories like this come to light, and there is a national outcry, the insidious replacement of physicians will continue.

anyone seen this yet? this should resonate with the public...post it, share it, tweet it, spread it

• Sad
Reactions: 6 users