AAO Membership

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

papilledema

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi.. I received an application form from the Academy today and was wondering whether one could apply as a 'Member-in-training' at this point or during my Prelim year? Does one have to wait till PGY-2 to do this? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Haha - I had the same questions!

Also, who is the member on our behalf? Our future PD?

Hi.. I received an application form from the Academy today and was wondering whether one could apply as a 'Member-in-training' at this point or during my Prelim year? Does one have to wait till PGY-2 to do this? Thanks!

There is definitely no reason to wait. AAO sent me my application several months before the start of my PGY-2 year to help expedite the process since once you submit your app, they verify this info with your program director. I'm not sure when the benefits kick in though.

I'd call the office; i'm sure other eager residents have asked this question in the past.

Members don't see this ad :)
did the AAO stuff just show up in your mailbox or did you have to request it?

did the AAO stuff just show up in your mailbox or did you have to request it?

I had registered for a prior AAO meet and I guess they keep your address.

There is definitely no reason to wait. AAO sent me my application several months before the start of my PGY-2 year to help expedite the process since once you submit your app, they verify this info with your program director. I'm not sure when the benefits kick in though.

I'd call the office; i'm sure other eager residents have asked this question in the past.

I called the Academy office. Apparently one cannot register as a member-in-training while doing internship.

And here's the Email:

Dear Dr. xxx,

Thank you for your email. You will qualify for membership once your officially start your ophthalmology residency in 2008. You are welcome to apply in the Spring of 2008 in preparation of your start date in July, 2008.

Should you have further questions, please feel free to contact us by phone at 415.561.8581 or 866.561.8558 (toll free), by fax 415.561.8575 or send an e-mail to [email protected]

Sincerely,

Member Services
American Academy of Ophthalmology
655 Beach Street
San Francisco, CA 94109
Tel: 415.561.8581 or
Fax: 415.561.8575
E-mail: [email protected]
www.aao.org

i believe membership is free to members-in-training. that is probably why they want to make sure you are actually in an ophthalmology residency before you apply. part of the application requires an AAO member to sponsor you. at my program, it is usually the program director.

4 months my eager friends and the AAO membership will be yours! BUT MORE IMPORTANT, SO WILL THE OPHTHALMOLOGY CONSULT PAGER ;) .