ABA Advanced Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes. It's probably half the reason the server crashed yesterday.

You get in on the first week?

Members don't see this ad.

Seriously. What is the big rush to register. Fear not, the ABA will open a date to collect $2100 from every last one of us.

I'd rather get it the hell over with in the spring vs September. That's the rush. There's not enough spring dates for everyone who passed.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
make sure you guys sign up for orals quickly as the dates arrive, i had no idea last year how fast those spots go and i had to take it later than i would've liked

Do they open more dates up later and can those of us who signed up for later dates change to an earlier time?

Alas the annual "This is the Unfairest Exam and Why does it take so long to get the results out" thread has come to an end...

Reactions: 3 users
Unless you took it, your opinion is useless

I got my score report with a scaled and percentile score. When did the board start that? I thought this was always a p/f exam. I was surprised to see anything besides "pass" and a list of random keywords that really mean nothing after the fact.

I got my score report with a scaled and percentile score. When did the board start that? I thought this was always a p/f exam. I was surprised to see anything besides "pass" and a list of random keywords that really mean nothing after the fact.

P=MD, or in this case one step closer to board certification. No one even begins to care about your score.

But yeah I agree with you, now that written boards are over it’s a useless report unless you need to retake the exam. So glad it’s over.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It's been like that for a while. It looks like an ITE report.

Bro I was just happy to get the "pass"

Any ideas when January 2019 exam results will be posted?

Im guessing atleast another 1.5weeks if not 3 weeks from now. It hasnt been very long since the January Exam. I'm just hoping I passed!

That test was absurd I have no idea if I passed or failed. I’m relying on the high pass rate and a generous curve. The trend continues of obscure factoids with the occasional step 1 question and a huge lack of testing core anesthetic principles. If their goal is to make me unsure of my performance than they succeeded.

A few weirdly worded questions/answers? Kinda like ‘You are making a right turn, which way do you look? A) Right B) Left C) Neither D) Forward’

• Haha
I thought the exam was fair in the sense that 70-80% of the questions were answerable if you studied. I missed quite a few of these knowing that I used to know the answers. The other questions were way out of left field, and studying more would not have helped in any way.

I would say closer to 70%. Maybe a touch below.

The pass rate is extremely high to a point that they may as well sent you your certificate once your payment processes.

Here is a little secret: I never studied for any exam in anesthesia and passed all of them on the first attempt including the oral boards!
I am not saying that I am a genius (although I might be), but that proves that all you need is to know medicine and some common sense.

Reactions: 1 users
Here is a little secret: I never studied for any exam in anesthesia and passed all of them on the first attempt including the oral boards!
I am not saying that I am a genius (although I might be), but that proves that all you need is to know medicine and some common sense.
I wonder if the test includes any statistics questions, maybe one concerning survivor bias. :)

I wonder if the test includes any statistics questions, maybe one concerning survivor bias. :)
Maybe it was survivor bias, and why not, if you make it you automatically acquire bragging rights, but what I was attempting to say is that on my day the test was not that difficult.
Not really criticizing anyone's performance or fear of the test.
It might also be a personality disorder as some obviously very sharp and funny dude has diagnosed, who knows man, who knows!

Last edited:
Gotta love the consistency of boards, same shenanigans year after year. Congratulations on being done, everyone who just took it this year. Last year, I was in your shoes and feeling nervous about how it went, mostly remembering the weird esoteric questions. As has already been said every other year, most people passed regardless of how it feels walking out of the testing center.

The best part is once you get that pass result, you will get to start thinking about orals boards. You're in for a real treat.

Am I the only one who got my results today and signed up for oral boards? How did everyone else do?

WTF? i just logged in my ABA portal and it still says i'm scheduled for the exam..? (took it a month ago)

Ya same here, I’m not sure what the other guy is talking about.

WTF? i just logged in my ABA portal and it still says i'm scheduled for the exam..? (took it a month ago)

Results are nearly always sent out on a Monday (although I seem to remember my Basic results coming on Wednesday). Never on a Friday. Unlikely situation or a glitch.

April Fools! :claps: I was hoping someone would response with when to expect the results...

Just keeping everyone on their toes. Based off previous years should be out this week.