ABA Oral Exam - registration questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

canukmd

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was just tooling around on the ABA website to look up oral board exam fees and dates etc.

I would have sworn that the locations for the 2012 exams have changed. Last time I looked the locations were for Baltimore and Salt Lake City for spring and fall respectively. And now I see they are for Boston and San Diego. Was there a change or was I looking in the wrong place?

Also, what's the process to register for the oral boards? I know I have to wait to receive a passing mark (fingers crossed) on the written boards...but then what? Are there application instructions that gets sent along with your written boards results in the mail? And, do we have to pay another application fee and exam fee or just the exam fee of $2100?

Hopefully I'm not jinxing myself here. Still got a few more weeks 'til the written results come out.

Members don't see this ad.

baltimore and salt lake city are the sites for 2011 Oral boards, not 2012.

once you pass the written boards, you get email and written notices to sign up for the orals, and then you pay for them. no application fee; just exam fee. first come, first served for the dates you want, either spring or fall.

Oral registration info comes with the pass letter, and if I remeber correctly you can go to ABA portal website and take care of it all there.

The spring test date will probably be Boston and the fall one will probably San Diego (that should make my residents happy). Everyone will probably want the Boston date because it will be the first one offered. So, after you register and list your preference it will be few weeks before you get confirmation of which site you get. Some people get bumped to the fall.

Members don't see this ad :)
You know that email you get every year with the ABA Booklet of Information? The one that explains you must have a full medical license to receive your Part 1 score and register for Part 2, and other highly relevant but overlooked information?

This little nugget was added this year, on pg 22/69...

(3)Candidates currently enrolled in fellowship training will be given priority assignment to the Spring Part 2 Examination in the year after they pass the Part 1 Examination.

Clearly they recognize more folks are going the fellowship route.

You know that email you get every year with the ABA Booklet of Information? The one that explains you must have a full medical license to receive your Part 1 score and register for Part 2, and other highly relevant but overlooked information?

This little nugget was added this year, on pg 22/69...

(3)Candidates currently enrolled in fellowship training will be given priority assignment to the Spring Part 2 Examination in the year after they pass the Part 1 Examination.

Clearly they recognize more folks are going the fellowship route.

Rumor has it, from now on, everyone who wants the spring date can have it. Supposedly they're hiring more examiners or shifting examiners to that date to match demand.

Rumor has it, from now on, everyone who wants the spring date can have it. Supposedly they're hiring more examiners or shifting examiners to that date to match demand.

That's interesting. I know of examiners that have declined the Spring date because of it's proximity to the SCA conference, and they're even in the same town this year.

I wish I could have gotten the spring date like I asked for about 4 hours after receiving the email allowing me to register...

I wish I could have gotten the spring date like I asked for about 4 hours after receiving the email allowing me to register...

You mean the Spring date I asked for 2 months after I got that email?