Abandon 5k+ matured AnKing cards?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kardio

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
M1 went well. I had a great summer but didn't touch Anki. I have 25% of AnKing matured but I'm looking at over 5k due cards and there's no way I'll catch up anytime soon.

I did far fewer practice problems than I wish I had done during M1. It was an area I neglected to keep up with my spacebar reps. I'd much rather restart the AnKing grind with the new (M2) material and re-learn M1 material through practice problems, reviewing sketchy videos, and homemade cards.

Any thoughts or advise on my plan?

Members don't see this ad.

Perfectly fine approach, particularly with a P/F exam. You won't be penalized as much for not knowing the detail on an Anki card compared to in the past and will be able to efficiently look something up if needed. If a bit of trivia is repeated often enough to be relevant then you will learn it anyways.

Prioritize questions IMO. Anki is an efficient and great learning tool as you know but redoing a lot of M1 subject cards is going to have less utility than spending that time on M2 material.

Hope that makes sense. Enjoy.

Reactions: 4 users
If I were you I would just dump it or re-do them like new. No need to carry 5K overdue cards' mental debt every day; you'll burn out very soon.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My school had 2 pass system, first-year mostly physio second year mostly path/micro/pharm. I did not touch any of my physio cards from the first year after the given blocks. I maybe moved some back over if i struggled with a concept second year. if you do cards for sketchy/pathoma. you are more than fine for Step/Comlex. During dedicated (took step/comlex last month) I pretty much only did pathoma cards and a few HY sketchy micro/pharm topics and felt more than prepared for my exams.

And as other user posted above, prioritize questions like Uworld, Kaplan is high key trash. You are also just entering second year so honestly just chill a bit, you don't really have to "think about" boards til like janurary

Reactions: 1 users
My school had 2 pass system, first-year mostly physio second year mostly path/micro/pharm. I did not touch any of my physio cards from the first year after the given blocks. I maybe moved some back over if i struggled with a concept second year. if you do cards for sketchy/pathoma. you are more than fine for Step/Comlex. During dedicated (took step/comlex last month) I pretty much only did pathoma cards and a few HY sketchy micro/pharm topics and felt more than prepared for my exams.

And as other user posted above, prioritize questions like Uworld, Kaplan is high key trash. You are also just entering second year so honestly just chill a bit, you don't really have to "think about" boards til like janurary

For better or worse, my school is single pass. I’ll have to kiss goodbye about 1/3 of sketchy pharm&micro I had matured. I’m banking on practice Q’s and homemade cards throughout the year to keep the material fresh.

Probably won’t be as strong come dedicated as I would have been had I kept up over the summer - but surrendering those cards for the time being is a big strain off my back.

Reactions: 1 user
For better or worse, my school is single pass. I’ll have to kiss goodbye about 1/3 of sketchy pharm&micro I had matured. I’m banking on practice Q’s and homemade cards throughout the year to keep the material fresh.

Probably won’t be as strong come dedicated as I would have been had I kept up over the summer - but surrendering those cards for the time being is a big strain off my back.
you have all of dedicated to review stuff, learning it the second time around will be much faster

Similar situation. I decided to abandon everything from M1 and couldn't be happier. Do question banks and pull cards out for concepts you didn't know.

Similar situation. I decided to abandon everything from M1 and couldn't be happier. Do question banks and pull cards out for concepts you didn't know.

I did the same and am very happy with the decision so far. I’m not even convinced that I would have been better off academically by continuing to do the old cards - redoing them with fresh eyes, a broader knowledge base, and with improved studying skills has a lot of value.