Zanki/Anking reviews and struggling with class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snowcrawler85

DO Class of 2023
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished cardio/pulm/renal block and for the first time I’m completely swamped by my anking/zanki reviews. I didn’t finish all my cards this block and I know that’s the reason I didn’t do as well on the final. My cards include all the material I have learned this far, I never suspend after a block and am wondering how stupid it would be do suspend my old cards and just focus on this blocks material and then restart the material this summer. Is this a completely dumb idea or should I just bite the bullet, keep up with old reviews through this last block?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
There is another option: Prioritize them and be willing to allow yourself to fall a little behind in certain decks or subjects. It's better if you set goals you try to meet like getting through all of them 4 out of 7 days a week, so you don't allow yourself to slack too much, but that's more of a person-to-person thing I think. If you can get in the right mental headspace around that, it will be far better than completely dropping the information which will be much harder to pick up again later.

Start with the new-material cards, as a must-complete.

Then prioritize the rest. I'd probably keep the more concept-driven stuff as required next, then systems that are important to me and/or high yield stuff, then lowest priority the lower yield memorization-heavy stuff you can add back in later, etc. I am not a med student yet, so I can be of no help with the prioritization, but strategy-wise I'm pretty experienced.

Is step 1 p/f for your class? If so I wouldn't keep up with zanki at the expense of my classes, but that's just me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just finished cardio/pulm/renal block and for the first time I’m completely swamped by my anking/zanki reviews. I didn’t finish all my cards this block and I know that’s the reason I didn’t do as well on the final. My cards include all the material I have learned this far, I never suspend after a block and am wondering how stupid it would be do suspend my old cards and just focus on this blocks material and then restart the material this summer. Is this a completely dumb idea or should I just bite the bullet, keep up with old reviews through this last block?
were you doing your cards every day or did you take a break somewhere?

were you doing your cards every day or did you take a break somewhere?

I was doing them everyday, but this block I fell behind and I just couldn’t fit time to do 800 reviews and all the lecture material. Then the next day there would be 1000 etc

step 1 score >> class rank for class of 2023

There is another option: Prioritize them and be willing to allow yourself to fall a little behind in certain decks or subjects. It's better if you set goals you try to meet like getting through all of them 4 out of 7 days a week, so you don't allow yourself to slack too much, but that's more of a person-to-person thing I think. If you can get in the right mental headspace around that, it will be far better than completely dropping the information which will be much harder to pick up again later.

Start with the new-material cards, as a must-complete.

Then prioritize the rest. I'd probably keep the more concept-driven stuff as required next, then systems that are important to me and/or high yield stuff, then lowest priority the lower yield memorization-heavy stuff you can add back in later, etc. I am not a med student yet, so I can be of no help with the prioritization, but strategy-wise I'm pretty experienced.

thanks this is actually a good idea. I think I’ll be mad at myself if I let them slide this block and have to catch up this summer

I was doing them everyday, but this block I fell behind and I just couldn’t fit time to do 800 reviews and all the lecture material. Then the next day there would be 1000 etc
Have you tried limiting the number of reviews each day, so that 1000 dont appear the next day? I try setting about 200-300 cards for review so that I know I will finish those and then focus on lecture or other material.

Have you tried limiting the number of reviews each day, so that 1000 dont appear the next day? I try setting about 200-300 cards for review so that I know I will finish those and then focus on lecture or other material.

honestly, I think I’m going to do something like this though but have it be closer to 500 reviews a day and prioritize the material we are learning this block.