ABEM board review study material

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted497653

Just took this test today and realized there is a paucity of discussion on this very important test. If we can start a discussion of study resources for future studiers
What I used:

PEER VIII, hippo and AAEM book.

Got through all the questions on hippo but not all the videos
Hippo is pretty solid, the questions are maybe easier than on the real deal

PEER VIII- I was doing this for the second time. First time was in residency. I had actually forgotten most of the questions so still a solid resource and the BEST preparation. I did the practice test for PEER IX and thought it was comparable to the ROSH review questions, answers were more succinct than on PEER VIII. PEER VIII answers are very long but good review. I think this is what distinguishes this resource, you really have to know the material. It was funny that going through PEER VIII this time (as opposed to the first time) there are some errors in this resource...you can message me if you are wondering what the errors were)

Studied over 2.5 months...more time in the end--- like all day for 3 days for the last three days before the test.

Hippo- I think this is solid too. The guys are pretty funny and make studying fun. You do not an additional question resource if this is the primary study resource. Used to do 10 -20 questions in the beginning.

AAEM book- it's the black book- it is actually like First AID just seems more organized and ha 225 questions at the end. This is a good book to start on early. I didn't get all the way through but did get to do the 225 questions and they were pretty solid.

Other resources: You may want to look at other resource for ortho review but I knew this wasn't my strong point so maybe can skip it if you know your stuff

I did some of the 1000 question book in residency and the funny thing is that people really used to look down on this book so I decided not to use this for the boards. I did a board review last September and it was one of the state ones (ICEP) and it was okay, honestly can probably skin a board review. It's expensive and probably still will need to do the same amount of work to actually hammer down on the concepts. Sitting in class all day is not really studying effectively (for me). Know yourself well and if you really need to fly to some other state to study what you already know you need to study.....

The real thing was actually more straightforward...more first order questions than any of the resources with longer question stems. There were difficult-to-see images (nothing you can do about that, lol) and there were questions that seemed to have more than one answer. There was a lot of stuff I studied and there was no questions. However, I would say, the outline of how much each system will be tested i spot on- i.e cardioascylar, GI, peds, and respiratory really the big thing being tested.

The timing on hippo actually is enough. But you probably should do at least one full length.

If others want to add so that we can help future test taker (no posting test material...obviously)

I don't know how I did yet, but I feel like I studied well.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
May as well keep this thread going as we wait for our results... maybe in a few more weeks?

Agree with Peer VIII as above. Excellent, if slightly dated, resource. Did look at the sample PEER IX questions and imagine that it'll be a similarly useful (and refreshed, easier to use, nicer) bank. I may do it for CME alone since I like question banks.

Rosh Review was also helpful. I'm glad I did the vast majority of the "big Rosh" (the 2000+ question "attending" version) in conjunction with PEER.

Hippo ED for the win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
In previous years, it looks like written board results were available around Christmas. Can't find when it was in 2015. Was this the case last year too?

I used Rosh review and Hippo ED. I liked Hippo ED, but honestly thought that Rosh review alone would have probably been enough. If you like EMRAP, you'll probably like Hippo. If you're going to go that route, be sure to sign up while you're a resident for much better pricing!
I used PEER VIII for the in-service exams, but didn't look at it again for the boards.

Trying to find old threads talking about when results were viewable on the ABEM site from the last year or two. I've seen threads from a few years back, but not one from 2015.

Hey, 2015 qualifying exam folks, when were your results posted online -- regardless of you getting contacted?

December 20 or 21st.

Ah, interesting. 12/21/15 was a Monday. The exam was 11/16 - 11/21 last year -- so, 4-4.5 weeks.

Looks like ABEM's site goes down for maintenance next Monday night, 12/19, from 2100-2230, then they're closed 12/24 - 1/2. Sure hope results are viewable on the website somewhere in there before the 24th. Would be the same week relative to the exam (11/14/16 - 11/19/16) as last year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got news that I passed comfortably so the above method worked...haha:)

Also if you are religious, lots of prayer and staying focused will help.

Passed comfortably also. Used Rosh Review and 1200 questions. Rosh is good as a teaching tool. I actually thought 1200 Qs was high yield right before the exam.

I'll contribute too. Passed comfortably using most of the attending Rosh bank and PEER.

Rosh was ok but I got frustrated as I seemed to have many questions on the same subject over and over.

PEER was great and there's a reason why your PD tells you to focus on it. Everything is high yield and the answers are well written and succinct.

Also used smatterings of Rivers and the Ultimate EM guide when I realized I couldn't make it through Rivers. Rivers is great but time consuming. Ultimate guide was pretty high yield.

If you only chose one thing just fall in line with the sheep and use PEER.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Also passed comfortably (which I'll call ≥10 points above passing).

For posterity:

Rosh review, while repetitive, was very useful. I found their prediction on the real thing to be within five points of my actual score.

PEER is golden. I used PEER VIII -- can't vouch for PEER IX, but I can only imagine it's just fine. I did not use any study books nor attend any board prep courses.

I did Peer VIII in residency and Rosh review (1500 questions) for boards. I would say both were spot on. There are always surprises, but what can you do!

What's the pass/fail rate out of interest?

I passed. Did mostly Rosh review. Lower than predicted but with >5 point cushion.

1. What is the first-time pass rate for the Qualifying Examination? Passing rates for residency-eligible, first-time takers has been relatively stable over time, ranging between 89-94% over the past five years.

-Quoted from the FAQ section of ABEM

1. What is the first-time pass rate for the Qualifying Examination? Passing rates for residency-eligible, first-time takers has been relatively stable over time, ranging between 89-94% over the past five years.

-Quoted from the FAQ section of ABEM

Too lazy to search myself right now...did you see what the pass rate for recertification is?

Too lazy to search myself right now...did you see what the pass rate for recertification is?

For 2015, looks like 96% for current diplomates, 60%(!) for former diplomates. Don't know what it was from this year.

(Source: ABEM directly, pdf)

If I'm doing well on my ITEs does that out me on track to do well on the qualifying exam? I'm well over 90th percentile every year since I've taken it.

I have one more ITE to go this year as a PGY4 but just want to make sure I'm doing everything correctly...

Is Rosh Review and HippoEM the same whether you buy it for ITE or the boards? I assume the only difference is the resident versus attending price?

I know Rosh Review has way more questions. Not sure about HippoEM

I'm up to bat for first time EM board certification.

Any place for First Aid? First Aid + question bank (like PEER)? That was the combo that sufficed for Steps.... Is this too light for EM board certification especially if I definitely want to pass on first time around?

I'll probably re-watch Hippo EM too... but not sure if I can get through all of it... That's a lot of videos...