ABFM vs AOBFM Board Certification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AFMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are some thread talking about the advantages of ABFM vs AOBFP or AOBFP vs ABFM. They seem rather comparable for your average family physician in terms of utility. My question is about how they compare with difficulty and cost to certify and maintain.

The AOBFP is pretty straightforward in how it works. Around $1000 every 8 years for a written exam as well as a practical exam, plus CME through AOA. AOA membership is mandatory, and for a physician after 4 years of practice is $683 a year ($5464 over those eight years - yikes!).

The ABFM seems to be about $1000 every 10 years and CME type activities. No practical. No membership requirement.

The ABFM seems to be significantly less expensive, last minimally longer, and have no onerous practical exam. Is there any other hidden difficulties or expenses that I am missing, or other issues I have not taken into account?

Members don't see this ad.

From what I understand, a lot of the AOA CME courses are also in-person, whereas CME for the ABFM can often be simply done online. Others may correct me because I'm not a member of either. Never heard anyone say nice things about their AOA yearly membership, though.

I'm currently AOBFP since recently graduating residency but have NO plans to renew. I have joined NBPAS and plan to just stick with them.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
From what I understand, a lot of the AOA CME courses are also in-person, whereas CME for the ABFM can often be simply done online. Others may correct me because I'm not a member of either. Never heard anyone say nice things about their AOA yearly membership, though.

The AOA is tedious. My job pays for all the modules, CME, conferences, etc. Gives me time to get away and see old friends and take a mini vacation.

I'm currently AOBFP since recently graduating residency but have NO plans to renew. I have joined NBPAS and plan to just stick with them.

So I recently asked this of a soon to be graduate and they didn't seem to know the answer...

So after I graduate next year I can drop AOBFP and just get licensed through ABFM going forward? I'll likely be practicing in PA. I surely hope so!

This board is pretty intriguing. It's quite inexpensive, and makes a lot of sense. Have people been privileged/credentialed at many institutions using this board certification?

That's well and good, but the FAQ's on their website state "Acceptance by payers is critical for widespread growth of NBPAS, and no insurer that we know of currently accepts NBPAS.".. um that seems pretty important now.

So... are you planning on volunteering or joining/running a concierge/DPC/cash only practice in the future once your AOBFP expires?