Ability necessary to become a Radiologist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oreola

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 3rd year medical student and I have a few questions for those in residency or others who might have some insight.

I understand that radiology is a relatively cognitively tiring and demanding field that requires an ability to focus for long hours and a wide breadth of knowledge. It is also a field that attracts medical students at the top of their classes. So, is it necessary to be near the top of ones class in order to become a competent radiologist? Can anyone who has been accepted to and completed the majority of medical school get through residency and be happy with their performance as a practicing radiologist? Do you think anyone in your class could've became a radiologist or really only those top students have what it takes?

As a medical student it is just hard to get a feel for radiology and have much confidence reading films, CT's, MRI's, and the like. It seems like a leap of faith choosing this field as a career with so much unknown about one's own ability in the field. At least rotating through internal medicine or family medicine you manage a few patients and can gauge if you're somewhat adequate at it. So my other question is are there any predictors (USMLE, Shelf scores, third year scores, preclinical grades, passion for radiology, being a "visual" person, etc.) of success in radiology. Essentially, how will I know if I'm gonna be any good at this stuff?

Any responses would be greatly appreciated!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Trying to understand radiology as a med student is ridiculous. It's like trying to understand what a food you've never tried tastes like by watching someone else eat it.

Radiology is probably the most cerebral of fields. It is true that some residents find out during or shortly after training that they just can't cut it.

However, you can tailor yourself to becoming a subspecialty radiologist and only focusing on one small niche. You may not avoid exposure to the more hardcore aspects of radiology (ie. body/neuro/msk) altogether, but you can limit your involvement.

Still, it still seems like radiology remains competitive, and in my opinion if someone can get in, they can probably figure out how to read films.

I don't know if there are any reliable ways to predict your success at radiology. I do think that generally people who tend to be hard working, conscientious, fast, and able to study at home outside of work without an upcoming test motivating them (ie. gunners) tend to do well with it, but such is true of any field, or really anything in life.