ABIM and COVID

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SleepMedCali

Reaction score
To those who have taken any ABIM test this year - does anyone know how Pearson and ABIM are handling potential COVID cases from testees - as in if you had an exposure to a COVID positive person or have any mild cold-like symptoms are you not allowed to take the test? Will ABIM make you wait the following year to take your exam, or do they give you another option to take the test when you test negative? I called ABIM but the person answering the phone was not sure.

Members don't see this ad.

To those who have taken any ABIM test this year - does anyone know how Pearson and ABIM are handling potential COVID cases from testees - as in if you had an exposure to a COVID positive person or have any mild cold-like symptoms are you not allowed to take the test? Will ABIM make you wait the following year to take your exam, or do they give you another option to take the test when you test negative? I called ABIM but the person answering the phone was not sure.

I doubt they'll make a special test session for you (they've never done so if testees missing per other illnesses, family emergencies, etc etc). You'll likely just have to wait until next year.

For as busy and popular of a test as the ABIM is, I'm surprised they don't offer it more frequently.

I doubt they'll make a special test session for you (they've never done so if testees missing per other illnesses, family emergencies, etc etc). You'll likely just have to wait until next year.

For as busy and popular of a test as the ABIM is, I'm surprised they don't offer it more frequently.

Especially this year when there are less computers we can use and more people taking the exam (ie residents from last year). They were obviously able to offer the test twice last year. Why can't they do it again? It's ridiculous

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately you'll likely have to wait until next year as the test dates for the 2022 test has been posted. With COVID and getting checked at the door it doesn't make sense there isn't at least 2 dates. If they want to make it so that only those who haven't taken it get to take it again then that's pretty easy to do.

Unfortunately you'll likely have to wait until next year as the test dates for the 2022 test has been posted. With COVID and getting checked at the door it doesn't make sense there isn't at least 2 dates. If they want to make it so that only those who haven't taken it get to take it again then that's pretty easy to do.
So theoretically they could bar you from taking the exam on your test day if you have cold symptoms (but COVID not yet ruled in/out) and make you wait until the next year your exam is offered? Seems that would make people not want to disclose any symptoms they are having on test day when Pearson asks about symptoms.

So theoretically they could bar you from taking the exam on your test day if you have cold symptoms (but COVID not yet ruled in/out) and make you wait until the next year your exam is offered? Seems that would make people not want to disclose any symptoms they are having on test day when Pearson asks about symptoms.
Then when you infect the entire room of testing center occupants but you got to take your test you'll be ok with that?

Then when you infect the entire room of testing center occupants but you got to take your test you'll be ok with that?
Makes sense. Again, we're the competitive premeds that we've always been. Instead of collectively working together to get through a pandemic, we'll step all over each other to take a stupid test.

Last edited:
Makes sense. Again, we're the competitive premeds that we've always been. Instead of collectively working together to get through a pandemic, we'll step all over each other to take a stupid test.
Stockholm syndrome. This was the first year I didn't have to spray a stack of fun coupons on the ABIM and trade a whole ****ing day of my life in a stuffy room listening to clicks and heavy breathing for 8 hours. Wasn't sure what to do with myself.

Reactions: 1 user
Stockholm syndrome. This was the first year I didn't have to spray a stack of fun coupons on the ABIM and trade a whole ****ing day of my life in a stuffy room listening to clicks and heavy breathing for 8 hours. Wasn't sure what to do with myself.

We're such dolts. We have no idea how much we're being abused and exploited. Meanwhile, our profession is being overrun by people with half as much education/training.

No one said that. The point of the comment was that if ABIM does not offer alternate test days if you are potentially sick makes you have to decide between cancelling your exam for the possibility of a positive COVID case and limit work opportunities as you will not be board certified.

So, are you saying if you woke up with an itchy throat and some nasal congestion on test day morning you would decide to just cancel your exam without a thought knowing you have no alternate test date possibility for a year and would be a year without certification?

No one said that. The point of the comment was that if ABIM does not offer alternate test days if you are potentially sick makes you have to decide between cancelling your exam for the possibility of a positive COVID case and limit work opportunities as you will not be board certified.

So, are you saying if you woke up with an itchy throat and some nasal congestion on test day morning you would decide to just cancel your exam without a thought knowing you have no alternate test date possibility for a year and would be a year without certification?
First lets not be dramatic--you arent going to have any limitations in your job opportunities unless you have put this off for 6 years in which case that is more on you.

And sure that sounds like no big deal. But if you were febrile or coughing and cant get a rapid test done then absolutely not.

First lets not be dramatic--you arent going to have any limitations in your job opportunities unless you have put this off for 6 years in which case that is more on you.

And sure that sounds like no big deal. But if you were febrile or coughing and cant get a rapid test done then absolutely not.
But that's not only what Pearson asks you when you arrive to the test for their screening, for example - they ask if you have a runny nose or sore throat.

Look, the ABIM has never given two sh#$%s about anyone (not physicians, nor patients). It's a 'board', for the sake of a board. It has no connection to legal licensing, to a hospital, to a gov't entity, nor to a university. It solely exits for the administration of a test, and it's convinced a body of professionals who can't think for themselves (us physicians) of it's utmost importance and relevance.

They hardly make any concessions. I had an active duty friend that was wounded in Afghanistan and had to miss his boards . . .no concession granted, had to wait until the following year (it had no impact on his career).

It took a global pandemic to convince them to add test dates last December . . . a global pandemic! And they did not repeat their 'generosity' this year.

Reactions: 1 user
Do any of the other specialty boards make concessions for this? (Not to say ABIM’s inflexibility is okay or not okay, just wondering the current standard)