abim board eligibility

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imblue100

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I graduated in July of 2014 but I took many years off to have kids etc and just recently have gone back to work. I know that we have 7 years for board eligibility but if I take the exam in August 2021 and pass does that still count towards the 7 year limit. I emailed the board but never got a response back.Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

So I graduated in July of 2014 but I took many years off to have kids etc and just recently have gone back to work. I know that we have 7 years for board eligibility but if I take the exam in August 2021 and pass does that still count towards the 7 year limit. I emailed the board but never got a response back.Thanks.

What was the exact date of your graduation? I'm not quite sure, but if you graduated on say June 30th 2014, your first day of board eligibility would be say July 1st, 2014, right? The + 7 years would expire on July 1st, 2021. So how could you sit for the exam in August of 2021? (or perhaps the ABIM is not that strict in their calculation? or perhaps they'll grant some leeway per COVID?)

Reactions: 1 user
I would think this is your last year of eligibility since the first year of eligibility was 2014...COVID May give you some leeway...but ugh...once you are past BE, they make you redo a year of residency to regain eligibility.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would think this is your last year of eligibility since the first year of eligibility was 2014...COVID May give you some leeway...but ugh...once you are past BE, they make you redo a year of residency to regain eligibility.

You may have until 2021. I would still be checking with ABIM as best as you can, call, write, until you get a response. Depends on how they start counting the 7 years eligibility window. As roskhana said if your eligibility period ended this year they may allow you until next year to take the board due to COVID screwing everything up. I would work very hard to make sure you're able to take it, and most importantly you have one shot at it or you can lose BE.