ABO BLOOD GROUP - help!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Macaroon_Berry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize this may be a stupid question for some people, but I'm having a hard time understanding it.

What I'm confused about is with Bl groups O & AB:
If O has no antigens but it has antibodies to A and to B, then it can't receive blood from anyone other than Bl group O because it'll agglutinate (since O has antibodies against the other blood groups). But how can it be a universal donor if it has antibodies against the other antigens?? I realize that it doesn't have antigens but how can it be given to the other blood groups when it possesses antibodies against both A & B?? Won't it agglutinate?

Same with Bl group AB - if it has no antibodies, but has antigens A & B, then how is it a universal recipient - when you give Bl group A to a person who has Bl group AB, then won't the anti-B antibodies in Bl group A cause agglutination (since AB has the B antigen)?

Also, another question is what type of antibodies are these? I was searching on SDN, and from what I understand, all the antibodies are IgM with the exception of bl group O which makes IgG antibodies to A & B which can cross the placenta. Yet Wikipedia says Bl group O "contains IgM antibodies against both A and B antigens." ??

Members don't see this ad.

I realize this may be a stupid question for some people, but I'm having a hard time understanding it.

If O has no antigens but it has antibodies to A and to B, then it can't receive blood from anyone other than Bl group O because it'll agglutinate (since O has antibodies against the other blood groups). But how can it be a universal donor if it has antibodies against the other antigens?? I realize that it doesn't have antigens but how can it be given to the other blood groups when it possesses antibodies against both A & B?? Won't it agglutinate?

Same with Bl group AB - if it has no antibodies, but has antigens A & B, then how is it a universal recipient - when you give Bl group A to a person who has Bl group AB, then won't the anti-B antibodies in Bl group A cause agglutination (since AB has the B antigen)?

Also, another question is what type of antibodies are these? I was searching on SDN, and from what I understand, all the antibodies are IgM with the exception of bl group O which makes IgG antibodies to A & B which can cross the placenta. Yet Wikipedia says Bl group O "contains IgM antibodies against both A and B antigens." ??
My understanding is that donated blood is split in to red blood cells and plasma (or is it serum?). Type O- people are universal donors of CELLS (no antigens to be attacked), Type AB+ people are universal donors for plasma (no antibodies to cause issues).

I don't think your other questions are terribly step 1 relevant, they just seem to care about Rh isoimmunization. I also don't understand the issue well enough myself to add much clarity.

Reactions: 1 user
Type O blood donate blood cells and not plasma since their RBC don't have antigen. While AB blood can donate plasma since they don't have antibodies against any RBC antigen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Universal donor of RBC!!!111 not plasma. AB is universal donor of PLASMA(not RBC)

I hope this helps

ABO.jpg

Other good resources

http://www.americasblood.org/donate-blood/types-of-blood-donations.aspx
http://www.aabb.com

Here is the CIRCULAR OF INFORMATION FOR THE USE OF HUMAN BLOOD AND BLOOD COMPONENTS

http://www.aabb.org/tm/coi/Documents/coi1113.pdf

Everything above that the posters responded was correct; I just wanted to add: that according to Goljan: to test for cross-match, you mix the patient's serum with the donor's RBC's to see if they're compatible.