Abortion?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Who the hell says to themselves as a med student: "I want be an abortion provider!" Woohoo that sounds awesome! Job satisfaction through the roof on that one.

Would you hit the cocktail parties tell people you do TABs for a living? How would they respond: "Oh thats interesting, have you ever had a leg get stuck in the vacuum line?"

Is this thread a troll or have some people truly lost touch with reality?
:laugh:

Good read though, I was laughing my a$$ off.

Members don't see this ad.

I never did like old people much.. Granny's got lots of money and has been getting in putting her nose in my personal life for years. why don't we just make laws that allow us to get rid of them too. Wonderful! :thumbdown:

Someone PLEASE go to a medical school interview and tell them you have plans to be an "Abortion provider" and work tirelessly day and night suctioning like theres no tommorrow! I could create a "Clerks" like inde movie based on that character!

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting to think what would have happend if you could see what happend if the abortion never happend... Some of the greatest future leaders might have just been vacumed out... Maybe the cure for cancer that that baby might have pursuded was possibly just lost. Possible presidents, possible doctors, it might just be an "inconvenince" to them, but an impact of one life can be great.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, I'm a fourth year medical student applying for my ob/gyn residency and I want to be an abortion provider. I don't have a problem saying that and have said as much on my residency interviews. Roe vs. Wade gave women the right to choose and I'm willing to be a physician who performs abortion. I don't believe I'm the only one on this forum that feels that way. I respect those of you who believe otherwise based on religious beliefs or what not, but there are people who feel differently than you and I am happy to help those individuals if they need my help at some point in their lives.

sacrament said:
Well, though I have absolutely zero interest in obgyn, I wouldn't mind being at least a part-time abortion provider just to spite some of the people posting in this thread.

(And also because I view abortions as arguably the most important service an obgyn can provide to society.)

(Now both pro-lifers and obgyns can be pissed at me.)
There goes a man with his priorities in order.

Dude, I'm pretty sure it's just a checklist of rotations he's completed.

This is an awesome thread. I have little interest in going into Ob/Gyn because babies terrify me, but I appreciate those who do and are willing to provide abortions.

To whoever made the brilliant remark of: "if you don't want a kid, just don't have sex or use a condom" - that is really ignorant. I personally know people who have been on birth control, or used condoms religiously, or even both at the same time, who nevertheless got pregnant. Birth control can fail. And if you never want a kid, like myself, you should just force yourself into a life of celibacy? Right. Getting an abortion isn't something anyone enjoys, but it is comforting to have as an option.

geckoUBC said:
To whoever made the brilliant remark of: "if you don't want a kid, just don't have sex or use a condom" - that is really ignorant. I personally know people who have been on birth control, or used condoms religiously, or even both at the same time, who nevertheless got pregnant. Birth control can fail. And if you never want a kid, like myself, you should just force yourself into a life of celibacy? Right. Getting an abortion isn't something anyone enjoys, but it is comforting to have as an option.

I don't believe that Abortions should be illegal, but I do think it was a bit strong.. saying that providing abortions was the most important procedure an OBGyn can provide. How about bringing life "into" the world. :idea:

sacrament said:
I'm just saying that performing safe abortions probably provides a greater impact on society than their other services.

Are you of the opinion that teaching abortion should be a part of all OBGyn training programs then?

I'm sure lots of people will helpfully note the existence of uterine cancer, ovarian cysts, dysfunctional bleeding, etc. and ob/gyn treatment thereof, to which I respond "okay, okay, okay...."

But still.

Members don't see this ad :)
OzDDS said:
Are you of the opinion that teaching abortion should be a part of all OBGyn training programs then?

I think the opportunity to learn the techniques should be available to every obgyn resident. Whether or not the resident chooses to avail him or herself of that opportunity should probably be left up to them, as there are those who consider the issue to be more moral than medical. I happen to disagree, but respect those who don't wish to participate in this professional activity.

sacrament said:
I think the opportunity to learn the techniques should be available to every obgyn resident. Whether or not the resident chooses to avail him or herself of that opportunity should probably be left up to them, as there are those who consider the issue to be more moral than medical. I happen to disagree, but respect those who don't wish to participate in this professional activity.

Just curious, but do you have any opinions regarding the "medical" provision of Euthinasia?

OzDDS said:
Just curious, but do you have any opinions regarding the "medical" provision of Euthinasia?

I'm absolutely in favor of physician-assisted suicide, such as we have in Oregon, as I feel it promotes human dignity and empowers the dying, who typically above all fear being powerless.

If you were in charge of the provision of all abortions and euthinasia... What measures would you put into place to regulate them, and make sure they were never abused.

OzDDS said:
If you were in charge of the provision of all abortions and euthinasia... What measures would you put into place to regulate them, and make sure they were never abused.

My thoughts regarding abortion are such that I don't feel it can technically be "abused." It's certainly not the preferred method of birth control and so women receiving multiple abortions should probably get a stern talking to and maybe a psych referral, but I feel like your question is akin to asking "How would you make sure that plastic surgery is never abused?" Having too much plastic surgery is probably diagnostic of deeper underlying issues and certainly isn't a good, healthy decision, but it's a jump to say that it should be "regulated" above and beyond the judgment of individual surgeons. Physician-assisted suicide does carry a small risk of "abuse" in that conceivably an acutely depressed individual might seek out this option as a result of temporary mental clouding. In Oregon it is required that two doctors agree that the patient is not clinically depressed and is suffering from an ailment that will shortly be fatal (I think the rule is "within 6 months" according to the physician's best judgment, but I don't remember exactly). That's fine with me.

One difference between your plastic surgery analogy is that the repercussions are quite different between too much plastic surgery and too many abortions or too much euthinasia. THe latter two meaning ending the lives of many people. Micheal Jackson although quite scary has not killed anyone. :oops:

OzDDS said:
One difference between your plastic surgery analogy is that the repercussions are quite different between too much plastic surgery and too many abortions or too much euthinasia. THe latter two meaning ending the lives of many people. Micheal Jackson although quite scary has not killed anyone. :oops:

"Ending the lives of many people..." Well, in the case of abortions I would argue about the appropriateness of the word "people" and in the case of euthanasia I would argue that, well, yeah, that's sort of the whole point. But nobody is changing anybody's mind tonight, I would wager.

sacrament said:
"Ending the lives of many people..." Well, in the case of abortions I would argue about the appropriateness of the word "people" and in the case of euthanasia I would argue that, well, yeah, that's sort of the whole point. But nobody is changing anybody's mind tonight, I would wager.

When would you define the start of "personhood" then?

OzDDS said:
When would you define the start of "personhood" then?

I can't even count how many times I've had this discussion on SDN. If you do a search for posts by "sacrament" that contain the words "abortion" or "sentience" you'll find my body of work on the subject.

Ok, will do. Thanks for the discussion. :thumbup:

geckoUBC said:
And if you never want a kid, like myself, you should just force yourself into a life of celibacy? Right.

...uh, yeah? Some of us backwater hicks call it "accepting responsibility for your actions."

DigitalFusion04 said:
Interesting to think what would have happend if you could see what happend if the abortion never happend... Some of the greatest future leaders might have just been vacumed out... Maybe the cure for cancer that that baby might have pursuded was possibly just lost. Possible presidents, possible doctors, it might just be an "inconvenince" to them, but an impact of one life can be great.

Yes, think about the impact on the world if some of our serial killers had been aborted rather than be born. Your argument works both ways except I think it works more in favor of pro-choice arguement since unwanted children are more likely (although not definitely) to be children of parents not capable or not willing to put in the time and effort to raise a decent human being

Another person asked if all pro-choice people were just felt lucky that their own mothers did not decide to abort them. I have thought about this often and can honestly say that the thought of my mother not giving birth to me is not a big deal at all. You can't miss a person you've never known. If I hadn't been born, I'm sure my parents would have had another child instead which would have been different than me although equally loved, and my husband would have found another woman to marry. I don't believe in fate or that one single soulmate exists for each of us out there. The fact that I, with my crazily unique set of genes, exist at all is really neat to think about given all the billions and billions of sperm my father has made in his life and the many eggs my mom has ovulated. My parents could have had any gazillions of combinations....it just happened to be me. It could have just as easily been someone else. I don't think my life is that special or preordained in the universe, although given the opporutnity to experience life, I'd have to say it's pretty fun :)

12R34Y said:
mine is also based on consistent logical thought.

abortion isn't right for any reason. plain and simple. I also can't believe that you can "logically" think there is a magical cutoff that needs to be determined. Are you listening to what that sounds like? Someone gets to determine when a baby's life gets snuffed out. that's harsh man.

later

I've been reading your replies, and I as a future physician, you have your opinion. The most important issue is how this interferes with your patient care.

Women are going to have abortions, legal or illegal. Elective abortions are legal in the US. If you are not going to provide services that a patient requests then as a physician it is your responsibility to refer them to a provider who will. Your opinion is not necessary. You are no one's judge. You are a medical professional and ultimately must do no harm. Many desperate women have died from illegal abortions. If respecting life is what you seek, then respect it in all forms. Respect these women and their right to choose.

Also, to the backwater hick who said "people need to take responsibility for their actions."

Really, if someone wasn't responsible enough to prevent a pregnancy, realisitically how do you expect them to be responsible parents. Having a child doesn't magically make someone grow up. It just doesn't happen. With unwanted pregnancies, there is no cut and dry answer.

Imagine a woman with severe mental disabilities who because she never learned self worth and self respect had unplanned sex. She is addicted to drugs, doesn't sleep in the same place from day to day, and cannot mentally/emotionally manage to engage in personal hygiene. She cannot find the self control to even take medications to control this mental disability. Do you really think it is in the best interest of this woman to carry this pregnancy to term? If you answer no, and cite adoption as a solution, do you think it is the responsibility of the women of the world to have unwanted children for the couples of the world that don't have any?

Another thing (before this gets too long)-

I have heard many people who make the issue of abortion about them. "My mother was going to but now she didn't and now I won the Nobel prize or even if I didn't I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, etc.," you get the picture. This issue isn't about how it has affected you. It's not about you. It's about a woman's right to choose. You're putting your own psychological BS into an issue that requires objectivity.

missing said:
Also, to the backwater hick who said "people need to take responsibility for their actions."

Really, if someone wasn't responsible enough to prevent a pregnancy, realisitically how do you expect them to be responsible parents. Having a child doesn't magically make someone grow up. It just doesn't happen. With unwanted pregnancies, there is no cut and dry answer.

Excellent point. You're right, we'd better just kill 'em off, since it's a well-documented fact that no human being in history has ever risen above a poor upbringing to make something of themselves.

Imagine a woman with severe mental disabilities who because she never learned self worth and self respect had unplanned sex. She is addicted to drugs, doesn't sleep in the same place from day to day, and cannot mentally/emotionally manage to engage in personal hygiene. She cannot find the self control to even take medications to control this mental disability. Do you really think it is in the best interest of this woman to carry this pregnancy to term?

This scenario is so elaborately contrived it's not even worth discussing. Seriously, claiming a procedure like abortion belongs in medicine's armamentarium "because of all the profoundly ******ed indigent substance abusers (who, interestingly, don't take their medication) who need it"? I think describing that argument as "flimsy" would be too complimentary.

If you answer no, and cite adoption as a solution, do you think it is the responsibility of the women of the world to have unwanted children for the couples of the world that don't have any?

Of course not, and I'd be insulted at the question if you weren't being so tirelessly goading. If I thought you were even remotely interested in having a legitimate discussion instead of simply congratulating yourself out loud at your clearly superior philosophy & intellect, I might be bothered to respond.

Another thing (before this gets too long)-

I have heard many people who make the issue of abortion about them. "My mother was going to but now she didn't and now I won the Nobel prize or even if I didn't I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, etc.," you get the picture. This issue isn't about how it has affected you. It's not about you. It's about a woman's right to choose. You're putting your own psychological BS into an issue that requires objectivity.

Or, alternately, it's about a human being's right to live. *Both* sides inject their philosophical biases into this controversy, along with virtually every other in existence--a fundamental, self-evident tenet of debate you might have realized yourself long ago, were you not so busy preening, instead of needing to have it pointed out to you like the dunce you so powerfully believe you're not.

Right on aphistis. I'm glad there are still some caring individuals in this world who realize that just because a baby hasn't been born, doesn't mean it should not be protected from murder.
Hopefully, some day we will see this cruel, immoral, murderous practice made illegal.

minime said:
Right on aphistis. I'm glad there are still some caring individuals in this world who realize that just because a baby hasn't been born, doesn't mean it should not be protected from murder.
Hopefully, some day we will see this cruel, immoral, murderous practice made illegal.

Should we make all abortions illegal? Should we set an absolute definition on a limited amount of time available to a women to make her choice say 2-3 weeks and then after that you have to carry through with the preg? Or should we allow abortion up to the the day the baby is born to be allowed at the whim of the mother.
It will always be a problem, like drugs, and gun laws, women will have abortions whether we make laws or not. So that is one thing to think about.
Also, I do have to say that it sort of bothers me that I find some of the pro-choice femenist a bit hippocritical sometimes.. for example they promote that it is the woman's body, her choice to make to kill her child even up to the day it's born, (the father Never has a word in any of it), and secondly these are the same women who ...let's say a pregnant women is killed... Say that the man should be guilty of double homicide. :confused:
You can't have your cake and eat it too..

I know this is a very rare instance, but it does happen.. but what if the father of the child is ready to be a father and wants the child but the mother does not. Should she be made to carry to term and give the child to him, Should he have the same right to be a single parent father if he so desired and the same right to his child as the mother?

I just think that it shouldn't be called Pro-choice vs. Pro-life. At least call it what it is. Pro- Women's choice vs. Pro- Life.

OzDDS said:
Also, I do have to say that it sort of bothers me that I find some of the pro-choice femenist a bit hippocritical sometimes.. for example they promote that it is the woman's body, her choice to make to kill her child even up to the day it's born, (the father Never has a word in any of it), and secondly these are the same women who ...let's say a pregnant women is killed... Say that the man should be guilty of double homicide. :confused:
You can't have your cake and eat it too..

Actually this is incorrect. Both NARAL and Planned Parenthood have opposed laws that would make murder of a pregnant woman count as double murder. Not to say there aren't some pro-choice people out there who are inconsistent about this (like pro-lifers who claim abortion is murder but think it's permissible in the case of rape), but the big lobbying groups are not.

thanks for the info.

:hardy: Excellent point. You're right, we'd better just kill 'em off, since it's a well-documented fact that no human being in history has ever risen above a poor upbringing to make something of themselves. :hardy:

You are correct. Many people have risen out of extreme unfortunate circumstances. Has anyone beat the $#!t out of you? Have you ever had to witness your parents using heroin? Have you ever seen little children running around naked in the streets while you know their parents are using drugs inside? While I don't see it as "let's just kill them off, (as a life should never be viewed as just this), I do see abortion as the lesser of two evils. I'll elaborate further, read on.

:hardy: This scenario is so elaborately contrived it's not even worth discussing. Seriously, claiming a procedure like abortion belongs in medicine's armamentarium "because of all the profoundly ******ed indigent substance abusers (who, interestingly, don't take their medication) who need it"? I think describing that argument as "flimsy" would be too complimentary. :hardy:

I don't really want to argue with you. So please leave out the sarcasm.
And, maybe in your world the above scenario doesn't seem realisitic. Unfortunately, for many people it is their truth and their reality.

The truth is, I am a woman. I worked in an abortion clinic. While I have always been pro-choice, by working there I truly gained a deeper understanding for this procedure. It's a little unfair to be judging so ferociously when it is impossible to know what it would feel like for a woman to make this decision.

It is really not a contrived story. The most compelling was a Native American woman. The Native Americans firmly denounce abortion. It is against their moral beliefs. This woman, about 34-37, was pregnant. She had 2 or 3 (I don't remember) children, one was a teenager and the other was about 10, like I said, I don't remember exact ages, but the littlest one was school age.

This woman had been in an abusive relationship for the past twenty years. Her husband beat her and put her in the hospital several times. She lived on the reservation, an extremely desolate place, and in a community that was so close knit could not leave and remain anonymous. She also did not have a formal education, and no real job skills. She stated that she remained in this relationship because she would feel guilty for not letting her children see their father, and that she had secured a living arrangement 1500 miles away with a girlfriend who was willing to help. She had plans to leave her children with her parents. Many abusers sense when their partners are gaining distance, and react by more threats and entrapment. Pregnancy is the perfect action. How would you handle this situation, aphistis? Really try to put yourself in this woman's shoes. Would you rather have unconsented sex, or be beat?
She got pregnant, and was now here in the abortion clinic. She felt that if she did not get an abortion she would be forced to remain in this relationship for many future years. What would your adivice be?

I could tell you about the twelve year old who didn't know what a vagina was. Or the lady with 5 kids, who said "I used to be the one protesting, and I never thought I would do this," and the stories go on.

I should add, that while it looks like an option for her to continue this pregnancy in this other place, have you ever had to raise a child without any resources. I'm guessing that you aphistis had a pretty good life. I'm not implying that it was perfect, but I'm guessing that you were never poor. I mean really dirt poor. I'm guessing your parent(s) were for the most part pretty good examples of how people should live. Am I right?

:hardy: Of course not, and I'd be insulted at the question if you weren't being so tirelessly goading. If I thought you were even remotely interested in having a legitimate discussion instead of simply congratulating yourself out loud at your clearly superior philosophy & intellect, I might be bothered to respond. :hardy:

I don't boast about a "superior philosophy & intellect." It's just that why is it that people who have never and will never have to make this choice, always have such strong opinions on it? How do you see yourself, as someone who has never been in women's shoes, qualified as nothing more then someone who has an opinon on what you would do if you were a woman? IIt's always the same thing, "If that was me I would do this," or "If I was her, I wouldn't do that." But, when the shoe is on the other foot, the scenario dramatically changes. It's like your eyes open up and you realize that the only reason you felt that way was because you never understood.

Everyone has opinons, and should be allowed to vocalize them. This really isn't sarcastic, because I really want to know, but where do you see your opinion in all of this? You don't have a uterus, and it seems like you have never had to deal with unwanted pregnancy, so without this, how do you think you can make a judgment call on someone who has? Again, I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I really want to know.

:sleep: Or, alternately, it's about a human being's right to live. *Both* sides inject their philosophical biases into this controversy, along with virtually every other in existence--a fundamental, self-evident tenet of debate you might have realized yourself long ago, were you not so busy preening, instead of needing to have it pointed out to you like the dunce you so powerfully believe you're not.[/QUOTE] :sleep: :thumbdown: Grow up.

I might add, that in the time I spent working in the abortion clinic I saw a lot of different kinds of women. Rich, poor, educated, uneducated, married, single, cheating, whatever. Abortion transcends all demographics. Clergy, mormons, catholics, doctors, lawyers, teachers, mothers, grandmothers, girlfriends, sisters, and the list goes on. I saw women who had crossed several state lines to remain anonymous. The truth is, that many women you may not have even thought, have had abortions. I've read something like half of all women in the US will have an abortion. It's a women's dirty little secret.

Many women say they regret their abortion. Regret usually isn't defined as the regret of the abortion, but rather regret that the pregnancy happened in the first place. They forget the sixteen year old girl they were skipping class to have an abortion. Their situations change, and so do their minds. But when, questioned further, they would still make the same choice they did. Because it was the best choice they could make given their circumstances.

Do you really know what a woman feels like after an abortion? Do you really know what it feels like, to make this decision and live with yourself and your dirty little secret?

I'd like to refer back to the OP.

It is clear that many people do not deal well with their personal belifs, professional obligations, and a persons autonomy over their body.

I have had many women tell me their doctor said horrible things and would not give them a referral.

This happens often. I admire you for wanting to become an abortion provider. It is extremely difficult amidst life threats and all around negativity. Many people are against abortion but forget it is still legal. It's really funny though, because they don't really have a foot to stand on.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

missing said:
You are correct. Many people have risen out of extreme unfortunate circumstances. Has anyone beat the $#!t out of you? Have you ever had to witness your parents using heroin? Have you ever seen little children running around naked in the streets while you know their parents are using drugs inside? While I don't see it as "let's just kill them off, (as a life should never be viewed as just this), I do see abortion as the lesser of two evils. I'll elaborate further, read on.

For the latter part, fair enough. For the former, you're making an appeal to pity.

I don't really want to argue with you. So please leave out the sarcasm.
And, maybe in your world the above scenario doesn't seem realisitic. Unfortunately, for many people it is their truth and their reality.

The truth is, I am a woman. I worked in an abortion clinic. While I have always been pro-choice, by working there I truly gained a deeper understanding for this procedure. It's a little unfair to be judging so ferociously when it is impossible to know what it would feel like for a woman to make this decision.

It is really not a contrived story. The most compelling was a Native American woman. The Native Americans firmly denounce abortion. It is against their moral beliefs. This woman, about 34-37, was pregnant. She had 2 or 3 (I don't remember) children, one was a teenager and the other was about 10, like I said, I don't remember exact ages, but the littlest one was school age.

This woman had been in an abusive relationship for the past twenty years. Her husband beat her and put her in the hospital several times. She lived on the reservation, an extremely desolate place, and in a community that was so close knit could not leave and remain anonymous. She also did not have a formal education, and no real job skills. She stated that she remained in this relationship because she would feel guilty for not letting her children see their father, and that she had secured a living arrangement 1500 miles away with a girlfriend who was willing to help. She had plans to leave her children with her parents. Many abusers sense when their partners are gaining distance, and react by more threats and entrapment. Pregnancy is the perfect action. How would you handle this situation, aphistis? Really try to put yourself in this woman's shoes. Would you rather have unconsented sex, or be beat?
She got pregnant, and was now here in the abortion clinic. She felt that if she did not get an abortion she would be forced to remain in this relationship for many future years. What would your adivice be?

My advice would be to leave as she was intending, bring the child to term and then raise or give it up for adoption as she wished. The woman's story is heartbreaking (I mean that sincerely), and it would be an exceptionally difficult choice to make, but the right one.

I could tell you about the twelve year old who didn't know what a vagina was. Or the lady with 5 kids, who said "I used to be the one protesting, and I never thought I would do this," and the stories go on.

For the 12-year-old, there's a significant possibility she wouldn't be healthy enough to deliver her child without substantially endangering her own health or even her life--in which case I couldn't oppose having the pregnancy aborted. For the lady with five kids, lacking further information I stand by my pro-life position.

I should add, that while it looks like an option for her to continue this pregnancy in this other place, have you ever had to raise a child without any resources. I'm guessing that you aphistis had a pretty good life. I'm not implying that it was perfect, but I'm guessing that you were never poor. I mean really dirt poor. I'm guessing your parent(s) were for the most part pretty good examples of how people should live. Am I right?

For the former, adoption would remain a perfectly viable option. For the latter, neither my economic background nor the moral character of my parents is at issue here.

I don't boast about a "superior philosophy & intellect." It's just that why is it that people who have never and will never have to make this choice, always have such strong opinions on it? How do you see yourself, as someone who has never been in women's shoes, qualified as nothing more then someone who has an opinon on what you would do if you were a woman? IIt's always the same thing, "If that was me I would do this," or "If I was her, I wouldn't do that." But, when the shoe is on the other foot, the scenario dramatically changes. It's like your eyes open up and you realize that the only reason you felt that way was because you never understood.

For now I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're not actually asserting I'm unjustified in holding an opinion on abortion vs. right-to-life simply because I happen to be male.

Everyone has opinons, and should be allowed to vocalize them. This really isn't sarcastic, because I really want to know, but where do you see your opinion in all of this? You don't have a uterus, and it seems like you have never had to deal with unwanted pregnancy, so without this, how do you think you can make a judgment call on someone who has? Again, I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I really want to know.

I'm not judging the women, I'm criticizing the practice. Once again, you're attempting to marginalize my opinion here based on my gender and your perception of my relationship history--nothing more than a pair of red herrings.

I might add, that in the time I spent working in the abortion clinic I saw a lot of different kinds of women. Rich, poor, educated, uneducated, married, single, cheating, whatever. Abortion transcends all demographics. Clergy, mormons, catholics, doctors, lawyers, teachers, mothers, grandmothers, girlfriends, sisters, and the list goes on. I saw women who had crossed several state lines to remain anonymous. The truth is, that many women you may not have even thought, have had abortions. I've read something like half of all women in the US will have an abortion. It's a women's dirty little secret.

You're committing another logical fallacy here, an appeal to popularity. Simply saying women from all the groups you've listed have had abortions isn't a valid defense of its legitimacy.

Many women say they regret their abortion. Regret usually isn't defined as the regret of the abortion, but rather regret that the pregnancy happened in the first place. They forget the sixteen year old girl they were skipping class to have an abortion. Their situations change, and so do their minds. But when, questioned further, they would still make the same choice they did. Because it was the best choice they could make given their circumstances.

If we're going to play anecdotes here, you might go see what Jane Roe of Roe v. Wade has to say on the subject.

Do you really know what a woman feels like after an abortion? Do you really know what it feels like, to make this decision and live with yourself and your dirty little secret?

One last invalid appeal to emotion and gender exclusion, although as an irrelevant sidebar I've always wondered why abortion supporters have never been able to explain away the overpowering guilt that so frequently engulfs them after having the procedure performed. Ockham's razor might suggest it's because there really IS something inherently morally reprehensible about it.

aphistis said:
One last invalid appeal to emotion and gender exclusion, although as an irrelevant sidebar I've always wondered why abortion supporters have never been able to explain away the overpowering guilt that so frequently engulfs them after having the procedure performed. Ockham's razor might suggest it's because there really IS something inherently morally reprehensible about it.

The APA and most researchers do not recognize a "post-abortion syndrome." During my senior year of college, I attended a rally in which several women who had abortions spoke out about how much relief they felt after their abortions and how they in no way regretted their decisions. The reason you only hear women expressing "overwhelming guilt" is because no woman can easily come out and say "yeah, I had an abortion and damn glad I did" because pro-lifers will look at her like she's a crazy murderer. Would you go around telling people about your abortion if that was the reaction you got from people? Only those experiencing overwhelming guilt will get any sympathy or positive reaction from the pro-lifers, so it makes sense that they will be the only ones to come forward despite the fact that most women have no long-lasting (and many have no short term) psychological ramifications from their action.

pillowhead said:
The APA and most researchers do not recognize a "post-abortion syndrome." During my senior year of college, I attended a rally in which several women who had abortions spoke out about how much relief they felt after their abortions and how they in no way regretted their decisions. The reason you only hear women expressing "overwhelming guilt" is because no woman can easily come out and say "yeah, I had an abortion and damn glad I did" because pro-lifers will look at her like she's a crazy murderer. Would you go around telling people about your abortion if that was the reaction you got from people? Only those experiencing overwhelming guilt will get any sympathy or positive reaction from the pro-lifers, so it makes sense that they will be the only ones to come forward despite the fact that most women have no long-lasting (and many have no short term) psychological ramifications from their action.

I think that'd be very disingenuous, if true (I'm not convinced). If these woman are sincere in their belief that getting an abortion isn't tantamount to murder, and is instead just cleaning out some unwanted tissue, they should have the integrity to stand up for that belief rather than offering crocodile tears.

aphistis said:
I think that'd be very disingenuous, if true (I'm not convinced). If these woman are sincere in their belief that getting an abortion isn't tantamount to murder, and is instead just cleaning out some unwanted tissue, they should have the integrity to stand up for that belief rather than offering crocodile tears.

I think you're missing my point. I don't think anyone is offering up crocodile tears. I'm sure there are women who no doubt very much regret their decision are have a lot of guilt. Maybe abortion was wrong for them. That's what you get in a free society--some people making bad decisions for themselves.

What I'm trying to point out is the hundreds of thousands of women annually who have an abortion and don't regret it at all. They're not shedding any tears--real or crocodile. You just don't see them or hear about them because if they are more open about their decision, they'll have some pro-lifers calling them murderers or even worse, outright physically harming them. Of course this represents a minority of pro-life individuals, but hey, if it were me, I wouldn't go around advertising the fact I just did something that other people consider murder even if I don't regret it one bit.

Maybe it depends where you live...I grew up in the south as a religious and "philosophical" minority in a very conservative Christian area. Many of us down here have learned what battles to pick and when, and with abortion, it's just not something you advertise. Saying people should have the integrity to stand up for their beliefs is ridiculously over-simplified. Should all gay people be required to publicly identify themselves in a conservative Christian area if someone brings up the topic of gay rights? If they don't, do they have no integrity?

It's just not that simple.

pillowhead said:
I think you're missing my point. I don't think anyone is offering up crocodile tears. I'm sure there are women who no doubt very much regret their decision are have a lot of guilt. Maybe abortion was wrong for them. That's what you get in a free society--some people making bad decisions for themselves.

What I'm trying to point out is the hundreds of thousands of women annually who have an abortion and don't regret it at all. They're not shedding any tears--real or crocodile. You just don't see them or hear about them because if they are more open about their decision, they'll have some pro-lifers calling them murderers or even worse, outright physically harming them. Of course this represents a minority of pro-life individuals, but hey, if it were me, I wouldn't go around advertising the fact I just did something that other people consider murder even if I don't regret it one bit.

Maybe it depends where you live...I grew up in the south as a religious and "philosophical" minority in a very conservative Christian area. Many of us down here have learned what battles to pick and when, and with abortion, it's just not something you advertise. Saying people should have the integrity to stand up for their beliefs is ridiculously over-simplified. Should all gay people be required to publicly identify themselves in a conservative Christian area if someone brings up the topic of gay rights? If they don't, do they have no integrity?

It's just not that simple.

I understand what you're saying, but most of my comment was drawn from one portion of your previous comment:

The reason you only hear women expressing "overwhelming guilt" is because no woman can easily come out and say "yeah, I had an abortion and damn glad I did"

There's a difference between quietly keeping your peace about something you've done, and openly proclaiming a false remorse for it. Your earlier comment strongly suggests the latter, in which case I stand by my most recent comment. Your most recent post reflects an attitude much more harmonious with my own.

Newsflash: The topic precludes mature discussion. Anyone who would rationally debate this is either totally clueless or a complete idiot. No one is gonna change anyone's mind on this forum.

But honestly, anyone who claims their goal in medicine is to become an abortion provider needs to seriously check themselves. That is insane. :p

If I actually met someone like that, I would have a field day. :laugh:

LADoc00 said:
Newsflash: The topic precludes mature discussion. Anyone who would rationally debate this is either totally clueless or a complete idiot. No one is gonna change anyone's mind on this forum.

I agree with the latter, but that doesn't stop me from taking significant offense to the rest.

LADoc00 said:

But honestly, anyone who claims their goal in medicine is to become an abortion provider needs to seriously check themselves. That is insane. :p

If I actually met someone like that, I would have a field day. :laugh:

I don't feel the point here is to change anyone's mind, just to continue dialogue on the issue. If you feel it is a waste of time, don?t bother to post. It?s really that simple. Honest, nobody is going to hunt you down and make you post here.

So what am I supposed to be checking for? Whatever your reason for going into medicine might be, I might find pretty stupid. At least I understand why I'm here and what I'm looking for.

aphistis said:
I agree with the latter, but that doesn't stop me from taking significant offense to the rest.

Bill youre a dentist WTF are you doing in a OBGYN forum FFS, have you even seen an abortion? How about the fetal parts after an abortion??

When people have either :A.) Had an abortion B.) Seen one or C.) Seen the fetal parts afterward then we can talk. Otherwise, your "I read this crap on the NOW webpage" drivel is a waste of electronic space. :laugh:

LADoc00 said:
Bill youre a dentist WTF are you doing in a OBGYN forum FFS, have you even seen an abortion? How about the fetal parts after an abortion??

When people have either :A.) Had an abortion B.) Seen one or C.) Seen the fetal parts afterward then we can talk. Otherwise, your "I read this crap on the NOW webpage" drivel is a waste of electronic space. :laugh:

1) I never claimed to be an expert in the technique of performing an abortion, and it's an irrelevant point anyway. If being an abortion provider was prerequisite to having a legitimate opinion on the issue, the pro-life platform wouldn't even exist.

2) Your questions open up the issue of whether I've ever witnessed a surgical abortion. Even if it mattered (it doesn't, see #1), you admit you don't know, and then immediately presume the answer to your own question in your snide response--another logical fallacy.

3) The best part here is that we're on the same side, and you apparently don't even realize it. I'm as pro-life as you are, and you're here get your jollies by trying (however anemically) to tear down someone who agrees with you all the way.

Now, in recognition of my signature quote, I'm done discussing this with you. Have a nice day.

Dude didnt mean to offend you... :laugh:
Bill, between you and me Dentistry is VASTLY superior to medicine in many ways. Youre patients dont die, you dont get sued (as much) and youre reimbursements and collections are the stuff of an internist's wet dreams.

That said, I was merely bantering due to boredom of having to stay at work on call for 20 hours doing basically nothing....something that wouldnt happen if I was in dentistry.

To those of you out there with sufficient fund of knowledge, financial resources and luck to prevent unwanted pregnancy, good for you. But don't get off making assumptions about people who do not have all the options and resources that you do. I've taught sex ed to high school students for several years and one class of juniors (who had no prior sex education) had begun applying the lessons learned in Physics to their methods of contraception. A full 50% of the females in the class reported "standing up after sex" as their method of choice.
The fact is abortion is merely a piece in the family planning pie. And the way it appears, the current administration is just trying to throw the whole pie out the window. They're cutting funding for sex ed, they're limiting what material can be taught in sex ed, they're denouncing condom's effectiveness. They're trying to restrict abortion rights. And they're working on cutting welfare benefits.
So in essence, they don't want to provide people with the means to prevent unwanted pregnancy, they don't want to provide people options to take care of unwanted pregnancy, and they don't want to provide the financial support to raising the children who are products of an unwanted pregnancy.
It seems to me at some point, something has got to give.

spikyhairedgirl said:
To those of you out there with sufficient fund of knowledge, financial resources and luck to prevent unwanted pregnancy, good for you. But don't get off making assumptions about people who do not have all the options and resources that you do. I've taught sex ed to high school students for several years and one class of juniors (who had no prior sex education) had begun applying the lessons learned in Physics to their methods of contraception. A full 50% of the females in the class reported "standing up after sex" as their method of choice.
The fact is abortion is merely a piece in the family planning pie. And the way it appears, the current administration is just trying to throw the whole pie out the window. They're cutting funding for sex ed, they're limiting what material can be taught in sex ed, they're denouncing condom's effectiveness. They're trying to restrict abortion rights. And they're working on cutting welfare benefits.
So in essence, they don't want to provide people with the means to prevent unwanted pregnancy, they don't want to provide people options to take care of unwanted pregnancy, and they don't want to provide the financial support to raising the children who are products of an unwanted pregnancy.
It seems to me at some point, something has got to give.

1) Show me where I made the assumptions you're referring to. Unless I made them myself, I don't want to hear about it.

2) You're at least the second person who's drawn conclusions about my socioeconomic background, and claimed I've tried to generalize my personal situation across the population at large. I've never indicated here whether I come from a wealthy or disadvantaged background, largely because it's completely irrelevant to the discussion at hand. I'm intrigued, however, that you wasted no time assuming, AND extrapolating upon, the "options and resources" I was raised with--literally one sentence before lambasting me for making assumptions you haven't identified.

3) I'm aware that abortion rates are tied to social welfare conditions, but you're trying to fold at least two other, completely independent arguments--welfare & your dislike for the Bush administration--into this discussion. I'm not taking the bait.

4) For what it's worth, I agree fully with your final point. If abortion is to be outlawed, insfrastructure *must* be put in place to help support the mothers, and prevention should be attacked much more effectively than is currently being done.

aphistis said:
1) Show me where I made the assumptions you're referring to. Unless I made them myself, I don't want to hear about it.

2) You're at least the second person who's drawn conclusions about my socioeconomic background, and claimed I've tried to generalize my personal situation across the population at large. I've never indicated here whether I come from a wealthy or disadvantaged background, largely because it's completely irrelevant to the discussion at hand. I'm intrigued, however, that you wasted no time assuming, AND extrapolating upon, the "options and resources" I was raised with--literally one sentence before lambasting me for making assumptions you haven't identified.

Bill, I'm sorry that you assumed I was speaking to only you. I was under the impression that this was a posting board, not a private conversation. The people to whom I was referring in my first paragraph (you know the one that started "to those with suffient fund of knowledge and resources...") were those that make the glib comments of "if you don't want to get pregnant...don't have sex" or "wear condoms". If you aren't in that group of people (and clearly you don't feel that you are), then my warning about making assumptions and judgements about people with less resources for preventing pregnancy clearly do not apply to you personally.

I sincerely apologize that you felt I was making assumptions about your personal SES. But if you, in fact, come from such a disadvantaged background as to believe that gravity is an effective means of contraception and continue to utilize this as your means of practicing safer sex that has never resulted in an unwanted pregnancy, then you are quite fortunate and I hope you continue to be so.

I, however, will continue to look out for the rights of people who aren't so fortunate.