About Applying MD/PhD: restrictions on PhD with undergrad major?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scean

whats a goon to a goblin?
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I've had some very good research experience during undergrad and I am definitely going to do research during med school. I am at a point where I constantly go back and forth as to whether I just want to avidly pursue research during my MD coursework or if I'd rather apply to a MD/PhD program.

I've decided to apply MD/PhD to a select few schools that I could not afford to attend otherwise (because of tuition waiver/stipend --> big city schools) and make my decision a little bit later if possible (still have a full year of undergrad research ahead that may affect my decision).

My question is this:

I see on almost every MD/PhD site a list of possible areas in which you can earn your PhD. My question is does undergraduate work limit the PhD degrees you are eligible for?

For example: I am an exercise and sport science major (kinesiology department), but I have a newer interest in tissue engineering. Is it impossible to gain a PhD in bioengineering if I have no previous engineering background? (I did love and excel at calculus in high school).

Thanks for reading, any answers/input/opinions welcome

Members don't see this ad.

You should email the admissions departments at some engineering schools to find out.

As a biomedical engineering UNDERGRAD. I can tell you that there is much much much more you need to know going into grad school in engineering than just calc. (you're expected to know programming, how to design circuits, biomechanics, fluid mechanics, analyzing signals and systems, plus you're expected to know everything that a bio major knows except the ecology and plant stuff) However, I don't see why its impossible to catch up in the 7 or 8 years you'd spend doing an MD/PhD. It might just take you a little bit longer, thats all.

The funny thing about engineering is that you finally get to see where math fails miserably and that it was a lie all along (aka the assumptions in our model make no sense but we'll make them anyways so we can actually arrive at some kind of solution). the cake is a lie!

Your undergrad major and your undergrad research do not limit the possibilities of your PhD. However, wanting to do engineering without an engineering background will make your life a lot harder. There are a lot more classes to take and this will increase your time spent in school. A lot of programs work with the graduate school so that you don't have to take as many courses as regular grad students, but I know at my school engineering still requires a huge amount of course work.

Another thing to consider is that many faculty have multiple appointments. This means that you can work in a lab that does tissue engineering for example and not have to get your PhD in an engineering subject. It depends on the lab, PI and school.

Perhaps you should post on the MD/PhD forum here where you are likely to get more responses.

And a bit of advice that you didn't ask for - decide if you want to do MD/PhD before you apply. No one will accept you if you can't convince them that you are certain this is what you want to do.