? about car insurance, registration (moving to a different state for residency)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted144744

I'm an M4 in Illinois and will be starting residency in Michigan in June. I'm planning on bringing along my car (which is registered in IL). It might be a dumb question, but do I need to register my car with the state of Michigan's DMV or can I just keep my Illinois registration? Also do I need to change my car insurance policy (or can I just switch to a local agent from the same insurance co.)?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an M4 in Illinois and will be starting residency in Michigan in June. I'm planning on bringing along my car (which is registered in IL). It might be a dumb question, but do I need to register my car with the state of Michigan's DMV or can I just keep my Illinois registration? Also do I need to change my car insurance policy (or can I just switch to a local agent from the same insurance co.)?

Thanks

You need to notify your insurance company - different states have different insurance regulations, which affect rates and whether the insurance company does business there at all. When I changed states for med school, my insurance rates jumped dramatically, and a company that was much more expensive in my prior state was now much cheaper.

As for registering the car, legally you are supposed to change the registration; each states has rules for how quickly you need to do it. I think it is pretty easy to get away with not changing it to the new state, but you may have to explain why if you are pulled over.

Thanks

If you have to change your driver's license to MI and if the car is registered in your name I'm almost positive you will have to change it to MI registration. You car insurance company would also be displeased with you if you maintain registration in a city where the insurance premiums are lower when, in fact, you actually live in a place that may have a higher premium.

I moved back to Michigan after doing med school out of state last year. I think the rule is 30 days of becoming a permanent resident of MI, you have to change your stuff.

That being said, I wonder if being here for 3 years for training qualifies as "permanent". But if you are a temp resident of MI earning wages here, but stay a resident of IL, taxes get a little annoying.

Registration in MIchigan is pretty cheap. There's no excise tax or anything like that from out of state. Just $15 or so to transfer title (yes, they will make you do this) and around $100 for registration, unless you have a brand new or very expensive car. My 96 Lumina was $60 for reg, our 05 Accord was a little over 100.

License is cheap too, less than $20.

Insurance is not cheap. Everywhere I have lived, it is more expensive here. You should change it, because if you get in an accident, Michigan is "no fault" insurance, which is totally different than everywhere else. If you're in Detroit, your insurance will be more expensive. With one accident in the last three years, I paid $600 every 6 months for an 05 Accord, with broad form and comp with $100 deductibles. This was about $400 a year more than I paid when I lived out east. For dirt insurance on a 1996 Lumina, it's about $250 every 6 months, but the accident isn't on there anymore. And I'm old, so I get good rates :) Around here, people tend to go with Allstate and State Farm. I've called Geico, Progressive, LA, State Farm, and Allstate, and allstate was the best for me.

Thanks

If you are living in MI and working in MI, then you are a resident of MI and need to re-register your car, change insurance and change drivers license. Can you get away with not doing it? Probably. One resident I know did this and had a heap of problems when her purse was stolen. Getting replacement identification was quite an ordeal since neither state want to help the non-resident.