? about Fellowships

Started by miler
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

miler

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know that the typical resident makes $30-40,000/yr., but what do you typically make during a fellowship? Is it the same, or does it go up closer to what your normal salary will be once your done with it all? --A simple question, I know, but one I've never heard clarified before.
Thanks
 
At most institutions, fellows are classified (for a number of reasons) as housestaff. Therefore, most fellows' salaries are integrated into the standard housestaff PGY ladder. I've seen institutional salary ladders that go from PGY-1 to PGY-10+. That being said, there are a few exceptions to the rule. I understand there are a (thankfully) few fellowships that are nonsalaried.
 
Wide variation, just as there is for resident salaries. Surgical fellows are often paid a PGY-6, PGY-7 salary although I do know some who are being "cheated" and only being paid a PGY-5 salary (even though they are PGY-7+).

Some places have flat rates (which may be more or less than residents get), but most I've seen simply increase it accordingly from the resident pay.