About how many interviews will you go on?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Approx. how many NEURO interviews do you think you'll go on?

• 1-9

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • 10-15

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • 16-20

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • 21-25

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • 26+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Paroxysm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently a fellow SDNer asked me how many neuro interviews would I plan to go on and I realized that I had no clue. I have heard that 20 is a lot and 25 is bordering on too many. So I decided to poll* all of you (current and prior applicants). Hopefully this info will be helpful for everyone.

*1 vote per screen name; votes are kept anonymous

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
i honestly dont want to go on too many, max 10-12

but thats just me

Hope to stay less than 10 neuro programs and < 10 prelim programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
so far i only have categorical prog interviews, but i've applied to 30 prelim programs...will avg joe need to go on 10 or so prelim interviews or is it brutal enough that one must aim for more? i'm so cringing, just adds to the stress and expenses. i dunno know tho, most people are saying advanced programs will try to hook you up with an intern year...doubt that's true at places with competitive IM programs that just don't have room.

so far i only have categorical prog interviews, but i've applied to 30 prelim programs...will avg joe need to go on 10 or so prelim interviews or is it brutal enough that one must aim for more? i'm so cringing, just adds to the stress and expenses. i dunno know tho, most people are saying advanced programs will try to hook you up with an intern year...doubt that's true at places with competitive IM programs that just don't have room.

This dual application process for Neurology is quite lame. These advanced programs need to fix their act.

I would definitely interview at atleast two prelims that are safe bets. There are some hospitals I found near my location that have transitional year programs which work for prelim requirement as well. While they are usually more competitive, I would encourage others to explore these as well.

I also understand that one can rank the prelim year separately so that if you do not match into advanced program, you can still get into prelim. That gives another year to apply in case of no luck with Neurology.

How are people going on 16-20 interviews ???
My offers are not beyond the 1-9 range yet :eek:

How are people going on 16-20 interviews ???
My offers are not beyond the 1-9 range yet :eek:

They probably applied extensively and are hoping to get that many invites. The question is if you got 20 invites, would you go to all of them?

They probably applied extensively and are hoping to get that many invites. The question is if you got 20 invites, would you go to all of them?

Thanks Buddhi

I can't deny that the thought hasn't crossed my mind :laugh:
But in the remote chance that I got 20 invites, how much time would I need to block off to go on TWENTY interviews ?

My school's clinical rotations usually only let people schedule 1 interview per week :(

Thanks Buddhi

I can't deny that the thought hasn't crossed my mind :laugh:
But in the remote chance that I got 20 invites, how much time would I need to block off to go on TWENTY interviews ?

My school's clinical rotations usually only let people schedule 1 interview per week :(

Mine lets us off 1 day off per rotation (typically 4 wks) :mad: My current interview schedule will make me fly criss-cross across the country 6-8 times.

Mine lets us off 1 day off per rotation (typically 4 wks) :mad: My current interview schedule will make me fly criss-cross across the country 6-8 times.

1 day off per week is not bad. My school allows up to 3 days off per rotation (4 weeks). That's their "official" policy. When it comes down to it, I'm sure schools understand that you have to do what you have to do.

Should I be concerned that I haven't had any prelim invitations yet? True, 5 out of my 6 neuro invites are to categorical programs, but who know what the future may hold. I have applied to 30+ prelim places and haven't heard from any! Come to think of it, most of these places were the same institutes of the advanced neuro programs (i.e. competitive university hospitals)..

Would it be wise to apply further, now? Or should I wait to see the advanced responses? :confused:

If you didn't already, probably wouldn't hurt to apply to all the PGY1s near where your based right now. I just did that like maybe not even 1 week ago, and I just got 1 :D

Should I be concerned that I haven't had any prelim invitations yet? True, 5 out of my 6 neuro invites are to categorical programs, but who know what the future may hold. I have applied to 30+ prelim places and haven't heard from any! Come to think of it, most of these places were the same institutes of the advanced neuro programs (i.e. competitive university hospitals)..

Would it be wise to apply further, now? Or should I wait to see the advanced responses? :confused: