About pregancy during residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cali2007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How difficult would it be to have pregancy during residency? I am applying for 2007 match and my biological clock is clicking.

Members don't see this ad.

Cali2007 said:
How difficult would it be to have pregancy during residency? I am applying for 2007 match and my biological clock is clicking.

I know of several people who were and are pregnant during residency. I don't think it should be a problem, however I would not announce on interviews that you are considering havng children while a resident. While it would be clearly unethical for programs to penalize you for this, I would be cautious when discussing it (which you shouldn't have to b/c interviewers are prohibited from asking such questions.)

Cali2007 said:

so is it best to start a family when you're a 4th year med student, intern or later in residency? Any thoughts on how the work load and family mix?

Members don't see this ad :)
kapMD/PhD said:
so is it best to start a family when you're a 4th year med student, intern or later in residency? Any thoughts on how the work load and family mix?

Something to be aware of: if you take maternity leave time off during residency, the program will make you make it up at the end of your residency.

Cali2007 said:

Depends of the program and their attitude. Best measuring stick is to ask current residents at the programs to which you are applying, my thought would be that they'd be more open and honest with you about this than your PD