About Radiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trinitee501

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone, I am a female student starting university(undergrad) in the US in the fall. I want to know a few things about Radiology which is currently the speciality I am looking into. I have a basic idea as to what it is about, but I would like if an actual radiologist could give me a more in depth definition. Another thing what skills do you think a good radiologist should possess I have looked at the films and everything and I see nothing I mean I see what's there but my mind doesn't process it, is this odd??

Also I am considering either getting my med degree in the US, UK or Austrailia ( the last two being backups in consideration only if I get into really good med schools there) any suggestions?? And most importantly being a radiologist will I really have anything to do if I plan on doing humanitarian aid considering that most third world countries don't really have the neccessary equipment, so will I be able to make a difference??? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

IMO it is way too early to be thinking about what you are going to specialize in when you haven't even started university yet. You have at least the next 8 years before you have to make a decision. I would first worry about your premed studies and getting into medical school for the next 3-4 years rather than "Should I be a radiologist or a surgeon?"

Hi trinitee,
Your question has been raised and addressed before on the forum I referenced in this message's title. Do a search in the medical students' discussion forum (maybe "radiology career" or "radiology high school" to capture mention of a high schooler's interest in rads).

I agree with Goober that you have a long ways to go yet before becoming a radiologist, but it's never too early to learn as much as you can about what you might end up doing someday. The road is long and hard though, so be warned, and good luck.

p.s. As a practical piece of advice, seek out radiologists either in private practice, or (preferrably) at teaching hospitals who can talk to you about how they got to be what they are. Ask them on some historical perspective on the profession and what risks you'll be assuming by becoming one - balancing these risks against the rewards you can anticipate receiving at different stages of your career.

Members don't see this ad :)
Geez, trinitee, I think you're planning a bit too much. Right now I think you need to focus on your pre-med studies, as it's a long, difficult journey to gain admission to medical school. Equally important is the opportunity to explore other academic disciplines and career paths in college, not to mention the tremendous life experience that you'll accrue as a university student. Don't worry about choosing a medical specialty until you've actually been admitted to a medical school.

trinitee501 said:
Hey Everyone, I am a female student starting university(undergrad) in the US in the fall. I want to know a few things about Radiology which is currently the speciality I am looking into. I have a basic idea as to what it is about, but I would like if an actual radiologist could give me a more in depth definition. Another thing what skills do you think a good radiologist should possess I have looked at the films and everything and I see nothing I mean I see what's there but my mind doesn't process it, is this odd??

Also I am considering either getting my med degree in the US, UK or Austrailia ( the last two being backups in consideration only if I get into really good med schools there) any suggestions?? And most importantly being a radiologist will I really have anything to do if I plan on doing humanitarian aid considering that most third world countries don't really have the neccessary equipment, so will I be able to make a difference??? :confused:
Just one thing.Though its very early,if you plan to enter Rads in future,get your medical education in US rather than anywhere else.As it is,Rads in extremely tough to get into.Don't make it any more tougher.