About shadowing experiences details

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gkstates

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have couple questions about shadowing experiences since I'm a first time applicant.

1. Can I use one shadowing form ( which I created myself to dock hours and have the doctor signed) for every school I apply to or I have to print out the shadowing forms the school provide?
(The doctor I shadowed is fairly busy, I don't think asking him to sign 5 different forms would be very convenient)

2. I spent about 150 hours with him. At first, I came in for shadowing. After couple days, we got along pretty well and he asked me to come visit from time to time. So I ended up visit for couple hours and hung around helping with office stuffs once or twice a week for almost 3 months. I'm not sure if I should dock 150 hrs shadowing or just 20 hrs shadowing and the rest is volunteer.

3. I have some idea about how to do the form. But I'd like some do and don't suggestion on it.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Just a form I created from MS Word that have the doctor information and a spreadsheet to dock my hours with his signatures.

If you need the physician to sign something for the medical school to which you are applying then you must print out whatever form the medical school requires. As far as I know whatever spreadsheet you have going is simply for your own records.

Is this something your current undergraduate institution requires or something you're keeping for yourself?

I'm fairly certain there's no form you have to submit to AACOM with documentation signed by the physician of those hours. You just add it as an experience with an approximate total hours over the span of the experience, as well as the approximate hours worked weekly.

Is this something your current undergraduate institution requires or something you're keeping for yourself?

I'm fairly certain there's no form you have to submit to AACOM with documentation signed by the physician of those hours. You just add it as an experience with an approximate total hours over the span of the experience, as well as the approximate hours worked weekly.

It is something s/he created for their own records. I remember there being several schools that required a brief form to be filled out by the physician for a LOR. I have never heard of a school asking for signatures for simple shadowing experiences without a LOR involved.

You don't need any form or source of verification of your hours for AACOMAS or AMCAS.

AACOMAS as well as AMCAS use the honor system when reporting shadowing hours. Medical interviewers, however, keep you in check.