about taking more than 1 year of general bio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abcxyz0123

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering, when most of you recommend taking classes on top of general bio, such as physiology, genetics, cell bio, etc...do you say this because taking these classes act almost as a continious review of general bio (sort of like the same effect TA'ing a class for 2 years before the MCAT would give you) so that by the time the MCAT comes, you barely need to study bio since you've been dealing with the subject for so long.........or do you say this because the more in-depth knowledge gained from taking these classes truly helps in understanding various questions? I'm going to be taking the mcat next august with only 1 year of bio, so I'm really curious as to what most of you have to say.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The genetics you need you should have from general bio, and one section in a Kaplan book. I never saw a lick of physio in Bio, so I had to work that hardcore in my studies. EK and Kaplan have all you need.

i think physio and genetics are quite important for the mcat. while it is true all u need to know was already taught in gen bio or in the TPR or kaplan books, it does not hurt to have more training is such subjects. i saw alot of physio in mine, especially pertaining to hormones and respiratory and cardiovascular systems. i think an in depth understanding will definitely help u to a certain extent. like u said, TA'ing is another good way to solidify ur knowledge. do both!