About the TPR hyperlearning books...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexasFight

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could anyone tell me:

1. Do these books change from year to year? Will buying the 2009 put me at any benefit over the 2009 version? I'd be willing to bet that they don't change the practice tests from year to year. Would I be right on that?

2. When I was looking through some books for sale, I noticed the scale for the practice exams ranged from 4 - 12. What's up with that? So the highest score you can get is a 36? What am I missing here?

3. I've heard the hyperlearning books are pretty good for going over the material when you are in a "learning" mode while the kaplan books are better for when you are ready to "test" yourself. Is there any truth to this?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Do these books change from year to year?
Yes but probably not significantly. Don't have the older editions to compare. But the verbal, for instance, reflected the recent change of the AAMC omitting line references to the passage.

So they update them. But no major changes unless the exam changes.

When I was looking through some books for sale, I noticed the scale for the practice exams ranged from 4 - 12. What's up with that? So the highest score you can get is a 36? What am I missing here?
The hyperlearning books don't have full lengths in them. I don't remember ever scoring my practice passages.

I've heard the hyperlearning books are pretty good for going over the material when you are in a "learning" mode while the kaplan books are better for when you are ready to "test" yourself. Is there any truth to this?
Didn't use Kaplan. Can't comment on that. But I used TPR's material to learn and test myself. Worked out for me.

Could anyone tell me:

1. Do these books change from year to year? Will buying the 2009 put me at any benefit over the 2009 version? I'd be willing to bet that they don't change the practice tests from year to year. Would I be right on that?

2. When I was looking through some books for sale, I noticed the scale for the practice exams ranged from 4 - 12. What's up with that? So the highest score you can get is a 36? What am I missing here?

3. I've heard the hyperlearning books are pretty good for going over the material when you are in a "learning" mode while the kaplan books are better for when you are ready to "test" yourself. Is there any truth to this?

Thanks in advance!

I'm going out on a limb here, but I would be a thousand bucks that the 2009 edition is identical to the 2009 edition.

I'm going out on a limb here, but I would be a thousand bucks that the 2009 edition is identical to the 2009 edition.

lol...

they do change... but not too much.

Between my 2006 and 2008 books they added a lot more on angular momentum, and added an appendix chapter on molecular biology laboratory methods just to get you familiar.

So nothing huge, but a few changes.