About to send in app, final confirmation of school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Awesome Sauceome

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wisconsin Resident, born and raised in MD
24 white male (birthday is tomorrow woot woot!)
3.6 gpa, 28 balanced MCAT
thousands of hours of research
average shadowing and volunteering
work as a medical assistant
a couple other interesting/fun ECs
Solid committee letter and a LOR from a DO

Here is the list:
Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine, AL - FEE WAIVEDIncompleteX
Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine, NC - FEE WAIVEDIncompleteX
Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine, IA - FEE WAIVEDIncompleteX
Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine - Carolinas Campus, SCIncompleteX
Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences, College of Osteopathic Medicine, MOIncompleteX
Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine, INIncompleteX
Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine, FLIncompleteX
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, PAIncompleteX
Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine (formerly UMDNJ SOM), NJIncompleteX
University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine, ME

The only one I am tempted to take off is Rowan, I cant find hard numbers on how many out of state applicants they take in. I guess I am concerned, does everyone think that 9 schools would be enough? Thats feels so risky to me, but money is a massive issue.

Members don't see this ad.

I went to an open house at Rowan last year, and while I don't recall the actual numbers the proportion of OOS they take was substantial. Part of the reason I ended up applying there despite being OOS.

I can't really answer your question, but I called Rowan recently and they said they take 25% OOS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's the thing about Rowan: Camden, NJ is the poorest city in the US and, for its size, has a ridiculously-high crime rate. Do you want to walk home late at night from your third year rotation in a setting like this?

Here's the thing about Rowan: Camden, NJ is the poorest city in the US and, for its size, has a ridiculously-high crime rate. Do you want to walk home late at night from your third year rotation in a setting like this?
I mean I have spent a lot of time in phili and NJ (wife went to undergrad there), so I definitely know its sketch. And sure its not ideal. What I would like is a school like CCOM, costing 20K a year, but in the location of VCOM-VC, but I dont have that kind of luxury. Rowan is a solid school - one of the better DO schools - I hear. I am limited on where I can apply for a bunch of other factors. These schools on this list have been really hard to get at.

So regardless of excluding or including Rowan, is this 9-10 schools decent for my stats you think?

You have better stats than I do and we have very similar lists except for ACOM and UNECOM. I would say with your stats, that list looks great. As for Rowan, I'm not sure. I would keep it on and regret applying than not.
Maybe also add what you're looking for in a school?
Happy birthday!

Here is the list:
Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine, IA - FEE WAIVEDIncompleteX
Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences, College of Osteopathic Medicine, MOIncompleteX
Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine (formerly UMDNJ SOM), NJIncompleteX

The only one I am tempted to take off is Rowan, I cant find hard numbers on how many out of state applicants they take in. I guess I am concerned, does everyone think that 9 schools would be enough? Thats feels so risky to me, but money is a massive issue.

Hey Happy Birth day. From Maryland too, but now live in Indiana. I would add LMU-DCOM too. Great school and very friendly professors and students. I will guarantee you once to tour the school, it will be hard to leave. Wonderful setting just like in Western Maryland, wonderful people and love the student. They have helped me so much that I decided to forfeit my deposit for LMU-DCOM. Good luck.

Strong list. We have similar stats. Any reason Western University isn't on that list?

I wish you well!

Reactions: 1 user
What's worth more to you? Another application cycle or an extra 500 in secondaries and primaries to 5 more schools?

I would keep Rowan in, its got a solid program and great hospital system for rotations. Its also close enough to philly to do away rotations at the hospitals there if you want. I got accepted OOS so its not impossible.

Also when I interviewed they seemed to be pushing research as one of their new goals after the integration with Rowan, so your research experience might give you a boost there.

Members don't see this ad :)
just borrow some money if u feel u need to apply to more schools. You don't want to go through another application cycle again

Wow thanks for the support everyone! And also for the birthday wishes haha.

Well so because of my wife's career choice, it is extremely challenging to find a job in any city or region with less than 100k people, generally speaking. They usually just don't have the infrastructure to have her job available. So that's why my list is so city heavy. Some areas such as unecom, cusom, and vcom-cc have that number within a 45 minute drive, so they still fit the bill. Otherwise, cities are best for us.

Definitely trying to get back to the east coast, it is where both of our families are, hence not applying to some of the great schools out west, such as western.

There are a few awesome schools in the Midwest like DMU and kcumb that I just had to keep on, because even if it meant being away from our families, those are solid programs. We have been away this year and it has actually been fine. I'm willing to keep away if it means having a shot there.

But yea, trying east coast.

That's good to hear about rowan's research element, I will try and play that up. I seriously have like mountains of research, I currently work a research job at a medical school and I had years of research, presentations, all of that stuff, even before I came here.

So y'all giving the thumbs up? Think that as long as I don't poop my pants during an interview or something, I should get in?

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

nah not MD, grade replacement brought me to the 3.6 gpa. My amcas gpa is like 3.2 or something. So with both a low gpa and mcat, I just couldn't convince myself to blow my money on it. I'm solely DO.

Fair enough. Good luck to you. I think you're looking good here.

What's worth more to you? Another application cycle or an extra 500 in secondaries and primaries to 5 more schools?

so you think I should apply to 15? That seems high.... I have heard that most people with my stats will get secondaries to just about every school they apply to, and will get interviews to about half, and then should get into like 1/4-1/2 of the schools... At least from what I have seen on here...

I would keep Rowan in, its got a solid program and great hospital system for rotations. Its also close enough to philly to do away rotations at the hospitals there if you want. I got accepted OOS so its not impossible.

Also when I interviewed they seemed to be pushing research as one of their new goals after the integration with Rowan, so your research experience might give you a boost there.

what were your stats? Did you have ties? I don't have ties living in state, but I traveled a lot while my wife was in school near, and it seems like a reasonable place.

just borrow some money if u feel u need to apply to more schools. You don't want to go through another application cycle again

can't just borrow money... Already have massive student loan debt and credit card debt from the wedding.

I would rather just pick a very very solid list of schools that I have a real shot at, than just shot gun approach and throw my money away.

I did receive the financial waiver which should help with secondaries

so you think I should apply to 15? That seems high.... I have heard that most people with my stats will get secondaries to just about every school they apply to, and will get interviews to about half, and then should get into like 1/4-1/2 of the schools... At least from what I have seen on here...

Well think of it like this, once you get an acceptance, you can stop going to schools that aren't above the one you got in. But yah, you could potentially get a 6-8 interview invites. However there is no clear percentage of that. Things do occur and many applicants get shafted by random things and others get light shined on them. You need to be ready for both situations. So yah, add a few more schools to be safe.

what were your stats? Did you have ties? I don't have ties living in state, but I traveled a lot while my wife was in school near, and it seems like a reasonable place.

Check your inbox.

Rowan is NOT in Camden! That's Cooper. Our school is in Stratford and a lot of people live nearby and walk to campus. We do do occasional rotations in Camden but safe parking/security. I just graduated, PM with any questions. It's one of only a few public DO schools and affiliated with a sister MD school.

Well think of it like this, once you get an acceptance, you can stop going to schools that aren't above the one you got in. But yah, you could potentially get a 6-8 interview invites. However there is no clear percentage of that. Things do occur and many applicants get shafted by random things and others get light shined on them. You need to be ready for both situations. So yah, add a few more schools to be safe.

how does everyone else feel about this?

I have $1992 foe the entire process. I have the fee waiver so even for 10 schools I am at like 250 for primaries, then I figure most secondaries will be covered, maybe like another 150 or something max between all schools. So that's like 1500-1600 for all interviews.

Every school I apply to cuts out on interviews I can take, so its a balancing act I need to find...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Awesome Sauceome!!!! I think you can cut your list down a bit. You're stats are pretty good. I am only applying to 4-6 schools myself. I think you can cut it down to about 8-10. You'll get a lot of interviews regardless!!!! PM me if you have any more questions!!! :)

+1

I had 1 interview per week for 2 months in exactly the order of my priority. It was part planning and part luck.

When you get interview invites push the ones you're not very interested in a bit further down. If your top schools sends you an invite you have a chance to quickly interview and get the spot. If it doesn't look like you're getting anything you can always call and reschedule.

Most schools only allow you to reschedule once.

Try to interview at one place you're not too sure about beforehand so you understand how things work.

Heck, I would be willing to interview you over Skype if you want.

I know you mentioned a preference for east coast, but what about CCOM?

not paying that amount of money. You can search some of the other forums to see my rants on MSU and CCOM heh... Not worth it

Good on you for realizing money is a big factor.

I sure as hell am not going to pay $50k/year for tuition.

Reactions: 1 user
nah not MD, grade replacement brought me to the 3.6 gpa. My amcas gpa is like 3.2 or something. So with both a low gpa and mcat, I just couldn't convince myself to blow my money on it. I'm solely DO.

They also have a FAP for md and my friend got it he just had to email forms and happy birthday

I just wanted to follow up on this.... I have similar stats (3.75 cGPA, 27 MCAT - well balanced). I am only applying to 9 DO schools (trying to stay on the east coast). Is this too few?? I am concerned from reading this thread that I should be adding more!

Also - I am from NJ. Both schools are safe, and the area around Rowan is pretty nice actually.

Reactions: 1 users
They also have a FAP for md and my friend got it he just had to email forms and happy birthday

sadly since they take into account parental income, I did not receive it, I tried though.

Weird that I am married, live 900 miles away from my folkes and haven't had them spend a dime on me in like 8 years yea they still get considered, but whatever, its fate or something I apply DO, since aacom gave me the waiver.

sadly since they take into account parental income, I did not receive it, I tried though.

Weird that I am married, live 900 miles away from my folkes and haven't had them spend a dime on me in like 8 years yea they still get considered, but whatever, its fate or something I apply DO, since aacom gave me the waiver.

I understand I tried myself but had to include my mother's income I am wishing you the best in the cycle

I think 8-10 schools is fine with your stats, especially with the ones you have selected. I applied to 8 schools and had 6 interviews, and couldn't afford to attend all of them. So you'd probably just end up wasting primary/secondary fees.

I just wanted to follow up on this.... I have similar stats (3.75 cGPA, 27 MCAT - well balanced). I am only applying to 9 DO schools (trying to stay on the east coast). Is this too few?? I am concerned from reading this thread that I should be adding more!

Also - I am from NJ. Both schools are safe, and the area around Rowan is pretty nice actually.
Provide school list please.

Suggest swapping out UNECOM for another school, as they are regionally biased. Suggest CCOM or WVCOM. You're good anywhere, including my school.

Here is the list: