About to start D1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChuckDAT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am less than a week away from orientation and had a quick question for all of the upperclass students on the forum. I am sure there are others (D1) that are wondering also, as I have seen many first year threads lately.

Is there anything specific that you did during your first year that helped you succeed in making good grades. Was it simply time management? I want to keep my options open for specializing and i obviously don't want to fall behind the curve. Specifically, was there any thing for the major first year classes (hour wise)....Biochem, micro dental A+P,...etc

Thanks in advance. God bless

Members don't see this ad.

I am less than a week away from orientation and had a quick question for all of the upperclass students on the forum. I am sure there are others (D1) that are wondering also, as I have seen many first year threads lately.

Is there anything specific that you did during your first year that helped you succeed in making good grades. Was it simply time management? I want to keep my options open for specializing and i obviously don't want to fall behind the curve. Specifically, was there any thing for the major first year classes (hour wise)....Biochem, micro dental A+P,...etc

Thanks in advance. God bless

My curriculum is a little different than most, so I won't comment much on actual hours or time. My home life is probably a whole lot different too. But generically, yes, time management is important. You can't live in your books or you'll go crazy. You need effective/productive studying, not hours and hours of just staring at notes getting nothing from it. Be prepared to maybe alter your study habits from undergrad. What I did in undergrad didn't work with this. Too much info too fast. If you have a few minutes, there's a med student on youtube that has some tips for studying. I don't recall the name right now. It's like, surviving medical school or something. He has some ideas so you can adapt to new methods if needed. They say Cs get degrees and whatever, but if you're not sure about specializing, then it is indeed wise to not follow that mindset (at least for now). But it's a lot of work. But you've seen how GPAs haunt pre-dents. GPAs close doors of opportunity fast.

Thanks for the post! I am interested in what that YouTube video is. I also think I will have to change my study methods. I want to be as efficient as possible, because I have been told that falling behind will kill you. Do you (or anyone else) have any techniques for studying that has worked efficiently....something along the lines of what you were saying about not staring at books for 10 hours.

I don't mind if that is what it takes, but would like to hear some feedback on possibly better study methods/recall.

Thanks again

Members don't see this ad :)
I have found there are two ways to study (at least for how my brain works):

Way 1. study for actually learning it and retaining it.
Way 2. pump and dump.

Sadly, there just wasnt enough time for me to only do Way 1. I had plenty of Way 2. I am the type of person that can study the night before and get a B, but would likely struggle for a C if surprised with the same exam a month later.

That said, there is plenty of material that can be looked up that you dont really need to remember to be a fantastic dentist. If you can somehow pick that material out and Way 2 learn it, and pick out all the really relevant material and Way 1 learn it, you'll be good.

However, the only way I have found to do that, is to see patients in clinic.

So, what I've told you in way too many words is that you'll have to find what works for you, and if you dont already know what that is, you will find out. Dont compare yourself to your peers, just learn what you learn and the long term retention on relevant info will come.

Everything you said makes complete sense. I definitely agree about the 2 ways to study.

Thanks for your insight. Keep them coming folks. I truly appreciate the advice. I def. want to start out on the right foot.

You will have students come in thinking they're hot stuff, and destined to specialize in something. It's literally the en vogue thing first semester and it gets very annoying very fast. Nothing wrong with keeping options open, but you'll find some act as if it's a foregone conclusion. I would keep them open and explore the options available to you to see what you really like.

With that said, here's my advice. Make friends with the people that you like and are compatible with you. It helps to have a good support system like that. Next, just do your job. Show up, do the work, and put the time in. I think most of dental school really is just keeping your attention on the task at hand. Don't worry about the inevitably annoying classmates that obsess over grades. Most of those types are just loudmouths that won't be at the top of the class anyway. I was truly shocked by some of the people I saw at our honors meetings.

It's normal to have anxiety when you're getting started, but once you get into it and start working you'll find your groove.

My curriculum is a little different than most, so I won't comment much on actual hours or time. My home life is probably a whole lot different too. But generically, yes, time management is important. You can't live in your books or you'll go crazy. You need effective/productive studying, not hours and hours of just staring at notes getting nothing from it. Be prepared to maybe alter your study habits from undergrad. What I did in undergrad didn't work with this. Too much info too fast. If you have a few minutes, there's a med student on youtube that has some tips for studying. I don't recall the name right now. It's like, surviving medical school or something. He has some ideas so you can adapt to new methods if needed. They say Cs get degrees and whatever, but if you're not sure about specializing, then it is indeed wise to not follow that mindset (at least for now). But it's a lot of work. But you've seen how GPAs haunt pre-dents. GPAs close doors of opportunity fast.

Is this the guy you were referring to?

https://www.youtube.com/user/DocOssareh

Thanks for all the responses. Those videos and y'all's inputs were exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again