About to start post bac and have a few questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

redwings54

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am about to start a post bac this summer at my local school and have a few questions. I graduated from college as a chem major with a 3.05 GPA and a 2.81 science. I had one C+ in physics 2 which I am retaking this summer. The rest of my pre-reqs were B's and B-'s, mostly B-'s. I did better in my upper level science classes getting mostly B's and B+'s. My question is whether I should retake the pre-reqs I got B-'s in or just take upper level classes to increase my GPA. I dont have the money to do a SMP so that isnt an option. I am also applying to mostly osteopathic schools where they replace the grade instead of average them so that is something to consider. My only qualm with taking the pre-reqs again is that I went to a top 20 liberal arts college and if I take them over again at a state school or a CC then it might look really bad. Any opinions you all might have would be helpful. Thanks.
 
Hey Red,

I would retake the classes. IMO, I don't think medical schools will actually sit there and notice that you re-took the classes at a community college. Remember, they must look through thousands of applications. What they will notice is a signicantly higher GPA if you are able to replace those C/B's with an A! 🙂

Good luck!
 
i don't think you should worry about retaking them at a 'state' college - even if it's the branch of a flagship or something. you are at a different place and point in your life, and you are trying to get the job done. i think i may have posted to you before, we are very similar, i have a 3.1 in chem and anth CGPA, and then like a 2.7 or 2.8 basic sciences. i am leaving my b's and b-'s alone (like for o-chem) but so far i've been able to replace my c's with A's in physics. i'm also planning to take a couple advanced bio courses that i've never had, hopefully to prove that i can excel in science courses that i haven't had before, so a committee could see that i'm ready for that challenge now. :luck: