Above 21 on PAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nattmelson

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys,

I took the 2007 and 2009 tests that are online. I'm getting 21 in both of them... I had hoped for a higher score.

How on earth do you guys who've gotten 22+ do it on the PAT?? Getting a 22+ means youve missed less than 10 questions... I dont think I'm even capable of that!!

Any pointers for increasing to 22+?

Sent from my SM-G935P using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

PAT wasn't my strong suit and I did not get 22+ so can't really give you specific pointers. However, do realize that not all exams are scaled the same. For instance, I've heard that the 2007/2009 PAT is on the easy side (never took it), therefore the scale was probably not as forgiving (hence why you can't miss more than 10 questions)!

From personal experience, I found my QR harder than bootcamp, so although missing like 6 questions gave me a 20 on bootcamp, I got a 20 in the real QR despite missing WAY MORE QUESTIONS.

All in all, don't worry too much about these curved scores. Just focus on going through each PAT question (even if you got it right!) and be able to explain to yourself why the correct answer is correct and why the others are wrong.

Practice practice practice. I mainly used DAT bootcamp to prepare for the PAT section. Got a 28 on the real thing. The trick is to carefully review all of your wrong answers, and/or those that you felt uncomfortable about.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Here is some advice:
I made a 22, my girlfriend made a 23. When you start talking above those, just remember, luck comes into play.. pretty heavily.
I used PAT Bootcamp! Oops, I mean DAT Bootcamp ;). No but seriously, if Bootcamp is good for one thing, it is the PAT generator.

Towards my last few weeks of studying, I would NEVER do EACH PAT type every day, but I would focus on my 2-3 weakest ones. So, in the morning, sometime between 9 am-1pm, I would do maybe angles. 4-6 hours later, after lots of study in whatever, I would have another "PAT break" and do another section I struggled with. Some things I was always amazing at - things like hole punch, side counting, but other things I knew I sucked at. I was always the worst at angles, and practiced them at least 15 minutes-30 minutes each day for weeks.

Also: 22 PAT can mean you missed 5 but also 15 sometimes. They don't tell us percentiles any more for a reason. 23, 25, 27 are even more subjective.

I got a 23 on PAT and it was ALL ABOUT PRACTICE. Seriously. If you practice enough times, then you'll start to see the patterns. For TFE, cube counting, hole punching, and pattern folding you can easily score 15/15 with like a month of practice. PAT is not like gen chem or math- you can't study the tricks in a week and expect to do well. Also, PAT is much harder on bootcamp than the actual DAT. I consistently scored a 19/20 on the bootcamp tests. On the real thing, it was so easy! Trust me- PAT is the easiest section because it has nothing to do with intelligence or knowledge. You've got this! Good luck!

Guys,

I took the 2007 and 2009 tests that are online. I'm getting 21 in both of them... I had hoped for a higher score.

How on earth do you guys who've gotten 22+ do it on the PAT?? Getting a 22+ means youve missed less than 10 questions... I dont think I'm even capable of that!!

Any pointers for increasing to 22+?

Sent from my SM-G935P using SDN mobile
Got above that. Practice scores don't mean too much for PAT since there's variation. The real is generally easier than BC though based on most breakdowns here. I felt mine was harder but still did well.

I got a 23 on PAT and it was ALL ABOUT PRACTICE. Seriously. If you practice enough times, then you'll start to see the patterns. For TFE, cube counting, hole punching, and pattern folding you can easily score 15/15 with like a month of practice. PAT is not like gen chem or math- you can't study the tricks in a week and expect to do well. Also, PAT is much harder on bootcamp than the actual DAT. I consistently scored a 19/20 on the bootcamp tests. On the real thing, it was so easy! Trust me- PAT is the easiest section because it has nothing to do with intelligence or knowledge. You've got this! Good luck!

thanks for the boost of confidence, as I am only scoring 18 or 19 on PAT bootcamp section exams. For me TFE is hard!! Angle ranking is hit or miss for me too.